Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi--I just built a machine as follows: MSI KT880 Delta board nVidia GeForce MX4000 video card Viking 512MB DDRAM PC-3200 AMD Athlon mobile 2400+ CPU Maxtor 160G HD (WinXPpro on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake won't install from CD

Hi--I just built a machine as follows:
    MSI KT880 Delta board
    nVidia GeForce MX4000 video card
    Viking 512MB DDRAM PC-3200
    AMD Athlon mobile 2400+ CPU
    Maxtor 160G HD (WinXPpro on pri, master)
    Maxtor 80G HD (pri. slave)
    DVD +/-R/W (sec. master)
    CD player (sec. slave)

The problem:
    I want to install Mandrake 10.0 from CD. I've used these CDs on other machines with no problems. Here, I choose "install or upgrade", it goes to a black screen with "Welcome to Mandrake 10.0" etc at the top, and Alt+F1 etc keys at the bottom-----then it does nothing. It never loads into memory---nothing. I've tried text mode, expert mode---same thing. The board and vid. card makers say they are OK with Linux. There are nVidia Linux drivers, but how do I install them without Linux installed? I'm pretty newbie to Linux, so any help will keep me on the path toward total Linux-dom. If I've left any pertinent info out, just ask!!

Hoping to toss Windows!! Cam

Linux Newbie
    Well, you're not going to install the nvidia drivers untill it's installed. It comes with what you need to get up and going. Do you have any other problems that you are not saying/know? Have you tried another disk/CD-ROM/ect.. Swap some memory for the screen you hang on is when it loads the program into memory. Hope this helps some and I will help all I can.

Just Joined!
    Problem solved!! The first thing Linux install does is check for USB devices. It turns out my POS Lexmark printer (which I use in Windows, and still had connected) is not Linux compatible. This made the install hang right from the get-go. Unplugged the printer and install proceeds normally. Anyone experience this before?

Thanks for the suggestions. Cam

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Well I have not. Dont forget "noprobe" installs. I am glad to see you have it working..