Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! I just installed MDK 10.1 on a Celeron 400/128MB/200GB system, and although the installation went very easy, I now have some questions. I am a recent convert to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed MDK 10.1 - have some ???

Hello all!

I just installed MDK 10.1 on a Celeron 400/128MB/200GB system, and although the installation went very easy, I now have some questions. I am a recent convert to Linux - I've been using Win98 for a long time, so I need to get some seat time in Linux to get to know my way around.

This brings me to my questions. First off, how do I install software on my system and then add it to the GUI menus (I'm using Gnome 2.6). For that matter, how about unistalling software/removing shortcuts/icons/menu entries? For example, I like Firefox as my browser, which I downloaded after installing MDK 10.1, and though it seemed to install fine, I have no shortcut or menu entry to be able to run it from. Where is it installed to (the Firefox executable - in Win98, it would be the .exe file)? How do I add a menu entry and/or shortcut? Also, how can I remove software I don't want ("uninstall")? Thanks!

Just Joined!

answer

dont.....use another distro

if u cant...

I just tried to install firefox on mandrake 10.1 and it wont start. It just spins at the bottom of the screen then dissappears and doesnt start (like all the other programs I'v installed. I dont know why these bugs are in this version though.

goto RPMBone and search for the file/program you want and select the mandrake version you want....

unless you want to pay to download free software, then goto "mandrake software"....

download the file to your computer (usually /home/XXX(user)

then open "Konsole" (Alt+F2) and type SU

enter your root password

then change to the directory where the install is....
    cd /home/XXX(user) (or cd home - no slash if you are already in the directory where you can see the dir you want. Look using "LS" (list files and directories)).

then when you can see the file you downloaded using LS type in this...
    " rpm -i XXXXX.rpm " (XXX=filename)

it should now be installed....

Good luck finding it to run it if it isnt listed in the start menu though.....

Wait till you try to install and run anything with a GUI like games or BittorrentGUI etc. on Mandrake 10.1....lol (give it up now and save a lot of fustration)....

Linux Newbie
    Could all way just use "urpmi" and download any libs you might be missing...

Linux Newbie
    oh and that site http://urpmi.borgnet.us/

Linux Guru

Re: Just installed MDK 10.1 - have some ???

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wiz
    First off, how do I install software on my system and then add it to the GUI menus (I'm using Gnome 2.6).
    Installing software on Mandrake is best done using URPMI. You can follow this tutorial to get you started (scroll a little more then 1/2 way down to get the Mandrake section). If you use URPM, then icons and programs will be automatically added to your start menu. Regardless, you can always add/remove entries to your menu by going to Mandrake Control Center > system > Menudrake. This will work for Gnome, KDE or any other WM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wiz
    For that matter, how about unistalling software/removing shortcuts/icons/menu entries? For example, I like Firefox as my browser, which I downloaded after installing MDK 10.1, and though it seemed to install fine, I have no shortcut or menu entry to be able to run it from. Where is it installed to (the Firefox executable - in Win98, it would be the .exe file)? How do I add a menu entry and/or shortcut? Also, how can I remove software I don't want ("uninstall")? Thanks!
    You can remove rpm's using urpme or rpm -e. If it's installed as source, you simply delete it.

To find a the executable file, use the locate command. For example, you installed firefox, but can't run it.
    Code:
    locate firefox
    will return the location of any firefox file, including the executable. If you know the name of the executable, but not the location, you can use locate, but the which command will be faster. For example,
    Code:
    which mozilla-firefox
    should return /usr/bin/firefox (or something like that).

Hope that helps,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your assisstance - I managed to figure it out by using Nautilus to find where all the Firefox files were, then using the Menu Configuration tool in the MCC. I even added the correct icon for Firefox, and it works flawlessly.

Here's something that I've noticed though, that I find strikingly odd: this Celeron 400/128MB RAM system doesn't seem any faster than my other *old* P200MMX/64MB RAM machine running Win98....not that it was the main reason for switching to Linux, but I did *expect* it to be faster due to a faster processor & 2x the memory.....can anyone explain why - maybe I need to "optimize" my new MDK 10.1 install??? Again, thanks for the replies - jeremy1701's reply kinda helped steer me into finding out what I needed to do "on my own".