Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I just installed Mandrake community 10.0 and it wont boot into the graphical interface. After choosing "linux" on the bootloader, it loads up then shows Code: Mandrake Linux release ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New install - Not loading graphical interface

Hello. I just installed Mandrake community 10.0 and it wont boot into the graphical interface. After choosing "linux" on the bootloader, it loads up then shows

Code:
    Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Community) for i886

Kernel 2.6.3-4mdk on an i686 / tty2

localhost login: root
    password:

Last login Mon Dec 20 22:12:19 on vc/1
    [root@localhost root]#
    I formated and reinstalled twice and it's not showing up with the usual graphical skot-friendly interface that I love oh so much.

Is there a command I can stick in to make it load or do I have to config something? My previous install a few months back had no problems and went straight into it.. I'd rather it did that again.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    try typing startx from the prompt after you login, though maybe you should'nt do it from root

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I believe you forgot to set the graphical interface starting automatically.

If you someday install Mandrake again, then you can set it start auto from the last steps of installer, I remember it was from the "X-server"-part...

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I believe you forgot to set the graphical interface starting automatically
    All that does is log in automatically. Mandrake allows to do a auto log in the manager of choice be that of KDE, BB, Enlightenment, WM, and more. As said
    Code:
    startx
    As said above...

Linux Guru
    Skot,
    The configuration for X isn't automatic in >10.0 like it was in <9.2. You have to actually select it. It's on the last screen or so. You're prompted for various configurations, one of them being GUI. From there, you can tell it to automatically start x for you. You can still configure it from CLI if you run the command xfdrake (it mau be XFdrake or Xfdrake or some other variant of).

Good luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Really.. May be I have done it so much I just do it and cant remember. In 10.1 it does not ask you. I just got done installing it. So if you are going to reinstall you might try 10.1. No real diff. tho.

Linux Guru
    It doesn't ask you like it used to. Instead, there's that window at the end where you have to select to configure Timezone, keyboard, mouse, network, X, etc...

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by InTone
    If you someday install Mandrake again, then you can set it start auto from the last steps of installer, I remember it was from the "X-server"-part...
    Hey, there's no need to re-install just because X doesn't start automatically! If that version is like many others, it's just a matter of editing a single digit in a single file! The file is /etc/inittab and the digit occurs in the first line of the file which does not start with a pound sign (#). The '#' makes the line a comment. So the first line without a '#' will look like this:
    Code:
    id&#58;3&#58;initdefault&#58;
    The 3 means run level 3 which is multi-user command line. If you change the 3 to a 5, the X will start automatically the next time you boot.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    i am having the same problem. i have tried typing all the above commands including kde (thats the only command i get any kind of response from but the file says it cant load it) my install had several failed bits of files. so that may be my problem. i have tried to install 10.1 3 times and i get failed files each time. is there a way i can just reinstall kde or some graphical interface. (a link to a how-to would be great because i have no idea what i'm doing with this linux stuff)

Linux Guru
    Yes, onesojourner, you can just install a GUI or whatever. Mandrake uses the urpmi command which is a variant of RedHat's rpm system. By using urpmi, file dependancies should be taken care of. But first, if you had problems in your install, maybe you should install in a different way, or at least take note of what is causing the problems: probably something with hardware difficiencies, but nothing that can't be worked through. If you have a working Linux, that is, a command line, that's a start. Read the urpmi man page like this:
    Code:
    $  man  urpmi
    and then maybe you will want to login as root and do
    Code:
    # urpmi  kde
    (note that you won't enter either the '$' or the '#', those only indicate the command prompt for user and root, respectively). There are several other desktop managers to choose from. KDE and Gnome are the most popular, but might be too heavy for slower or under-powered systems. icewm is not nearly as demanding. I hope this helps you make progress. If not, maybe you should start a new thread with your specific problems and with a suitably descriptive subject line.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better