Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, this probably has been asked a hundred times but if u could tell me how to install or where to get information on how to install the Nvida drivers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help video card issues

Hi, this probably has been asked a hundred times but if u could tell me how to install or where to get information on how to install the Nvida drivers for mandrake linux 10.1 or any other distro of linux such as suse i would really appreaciate your help. I was using Suse linux 9.0 which didnt give me any problems with my card it was just plug and play, but now i changed to mandrake 10.1 and also was trying Suse live 9.2 and i had to uninstall my Nvidia video card and use my intel integrated card in order to get the garaphical interface for mandrake and suse. and Also if u could tell me if it would be possible to have mandrake and suse on the same hard drive to choose which one to load at booting and where can I get information on how to partion my hard drive to have both distros?
    Thanks in advance!!!!!

Linux Newbie
    Yes it has been asked a lot. Any ways go to Nvidia.com--> Supprot/ Download drivers--> Choose Graphics Driver--> GeForce--> Linux IA32
    I assume you have a 32 bit OS.

Re: need help video card issues

Quote Originally Posted by zapper21
    Also if u could tell me if it would be possible to have mandrake and suse on the same hard drive to choose which one to load at booting and where can I get information on how to partion my hard drive to have both distros?
    Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Yes, it's possible, but it's best to ask one question per thread, to avoid mixing answers. I suggest you do a lot of searching; these are both very popular topics with a lot of good informational threads.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi, well I downloaded and install the Nvidia drivers but the video card still didn't work with mandrake. After installation was done a message said that i needed to change a few settings in var/log/Xorg.0.log (the settings were to change driver from NV or Vesa to NVidia; and in module change it to "GLX", and remove load"dri"and load"Glcore". I wanna know if I have to change the settings everywhere that driver , load, and module appear in the file or is it done only once at a specific section of the file?
    I would appreciate any suggestions or advices on how to do this , Thanks!!!

Linux Newbie
    Did you follow the Nvidia instructions? In the xorg.conf file change the 'nv' to 'nvidia'.

Just Joined!
    Hi, I have been looking through (xorg.conf , XF86conf, and X.org.logs) for the past 2 days and I havent been able to find NV in the device section. One thing I noticed though was that in the device section it has the description and configuration of my integrated graphics card, it has the device name of{Device=device1}. or Am i supposed to change the settings from NV to Nvida in another file?
    is that where i have to change to Nvidia or do i need to wirte a device section in the file for the Nvidia graphics card?
    Thanks!!!
    any suggestions or advice on where I might have gone wrong will be really helpful.!!!

Linux Newbie
    So you have 'on board graphics'? If so you do not need the drivers for a card.. You need motherboard drivers if you need any thing at all.
    If you do have one and I am not understanding you then:
    cd /etc/X11/
    ls (can skip this if you like)
    vi XF86config

replace the line
    Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines: