Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I got Mandake 10.1 up and runnin, but i cant figure out my network card. It's a Linksys 1 megabit card (yes, I know, CRAP CRAP CRAP). After messing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Help

Hey, I got Mandake 10.1 up and runnin, but i cant figure out my network card. It's a Linksys 1 megabit card (yes, I know, CRAP CRAP CRAP). After messing with this, i treid a 10 megabit, Linksys, USB network adapter. I can't get either of them to work. I plugged the card back in, and I want some help or a tutorial on setting it up so that I can get on the internet. (I'm on my Mom's PC).

what's the full name of the card? I ask as I have tried to do a search on http://www.google.com/linux but really need the full name. And what sort of card is it (ethernet, ADSL.....)?

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Limksys Homelink Poneline 10M USB Network Adapter

sorry, no joy.

What, exactly does this car plug into. I mean, is it attached to your USB ports, or does in provide a USB port or what? I'm asking as perhaps a genereic answer will work with your card.

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    well, the one i was talking about earlier is a USB network card, but I plugged in a PCI network card. Mandrake comes with the software for that one. but i dont know how to connect to my network so that i can get onto the interweb.

fine, so when you plug the car into your network, how does it plug in? Do you have a box (router) in your home, or is this ADSL? Basically if it's an ethernet (LAN) connection, then do a search on that, if it's ADSL then use that for your search.

This is, I'm sure, very do-able, you just need to know what it is (exactly) that you're trying to do.

good luck

Nerederello

Just Joined!
    i have a PCI card that plugs into the mother-board, and I need to hook up to a router. so, how do I do a search?? yes, we use ethernet, but i dont know how to search for the router.

if I understand what you're saying, your layout is thus:-

PC -- PCI Card in PC ------Ethernet-----Router----Internet

In which case you need to have a look at setting your PC's Internet connection using ethernet. So have a look at the ethernet howto :-
    http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Eth...OWTO.html#toc4

As to how the get a hold of your router, you may need to either have some assistance from whoever administers that, or check out DHCP

hope this helps

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    well, i kept messing with it, and I got my computer to see the network. but the router doesnt like it. My router wants to assign an IP adress, but my pc wants ME to assign it, and they wont talk to each other. in other words, my pc like static, but not DHCP, but my router is the opposite, What do i do?