Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am new with Mandrake linux. I had installed and have workt with Linux 9.2 for a few weeks now. I wanted to upgrade to version 10.1 . For that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

login commando after new installation.

I am new with Mandrake linux. I had installed and have workt with Linux 9.2 for a few weeks now. I wanted to upgrade to version 10.1. For that matter I have formated the partition of Linux 9.2 with Partion Magic. After that I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 On my laptop Is also installed Windows XP. When I start the laptop in the boot screen I can decide which operation system I want to chose.

When I start Mandrake Linux 10.1 the starting screen stops and asks for a loginname and password. Everything I tried I could not pass this hurdle. In frustration I formatted the partion with Mandrake Linux 10.1 again and installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 again. I made certain that I did not fill in a root login and password.
    But after the installation and restarting the computer the booting of Linux stopped again and asks for some commands which I do not untherstand. What is been seen on the screen is this (my name is Hans):

Mandrake linux release 10.1 (official for i5866
    kernel 2.6.8.1 -12mdh on i686 / tty1
    local host login: hans
    Password: .......
    [hans@localhost hans]$hans
    -bash: hbas:command not found

Everytime I fill in as login name my name "hans" and as password the name which I filled in during intallation as my password for my own account.

Please help what must I do with those command lines. What I realy whant I that Linux boots automaticly whithout typing logins and passwords etc.

Hans

Linux Guru
    The installation of 9.2 and 10.1 differs slightly, you're no longer prompted to setup the X graphical environment. Instead, you have to select it in the configuration window that appears after you setup users, root, install programs, etc... It's one of the last windows. There will also be options to setup time zone, mouse & keyboard, sound, netowrk, etc... When you reach that point, make sure to start the GUI setup. Tell is to automatically start X at startup. That should solve your problems.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks, that means problably that I have to format the lInux partition and reinstalling Mandrake 10.1.

What I only can say that for a novice whith Linux installing 9.2 is so easy. How will first time users solve this problem. I will occure more. This is something which must be made easer whit installing Mandrake 10.1.

Hans

Linux Guru
    I agree that it is a little confusing for newbies.

The simplest (and most user freindly) way to solve your problem would be to reinstall, however it's not the only way.

Also, make sure you create a root user and password during installation. You'll need it in the future.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    So it is not a good idea to skip the root username and password to make it easier. For what for reasons do I need it. Or must I read the manual to find out? Thanks anyway for the answer. I will format the partition and reinstal Linux Mandrake 10.1. I really start to like it.

Hans

Linux Engineer
    Hans, no its not a good idea to skip the root user creation .
    As for what root user is for, here a little explanation.

root is the administrative user that control your computer. I'll give you a few exemple... imagine you downlaod a virus, pure speculation, you run the program, since its a virus, it will try to copy itself to some remote directory and will probably infect some file, so that it get started automaticly at boot,... since you are NOT logued as root user, you do not have the power to write to these file... therefor, the virus cannot do anything harmfull...

when you have multiple user that runs your computer, you do NOT want them to do anything that would compromise your computer's security and integrity, therefor, you need to set these right as the admin... (root)

Do you need anymore information as why you need a root user?

PS. If anyone can explain better then me go ahead
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    After al this I opened Windows XP on my laptop en formatted the partition on which Mandrake 10.1 was installed again to make a clean install.

Installation of Mandrake 10.1 went well. I filled in a root password and for my useraccount filled in a user=login name and a password. I made damn seare to fill in yes when asked if I want X to start with starting of the computer. After finnishing the installation I rebooted the computer and whas ancious to discover Mandrake 10.1.

After I short time the blue Mandrake 10.1 screen appeared on which I filled in some primarely questions and closed this. Then the screen started flashing and after about 10 secondend the screen was black and appeared the same login lines as before:

"Mandrake linux release 10.1 (official for i5866
    kernel 2.6.8.1 -12mdh on i686 / tty1
    local host login: hans
    Password: .......
    [hans@localhost hans]$hans
    -bash: hbas:command not found
    "

Why this screen appeares again I do not untherstand. And what I tried filling in my rootpassword, user loginname and password the computer does not start Mandrake 10.1 desktop. What is the reason of this screen? Which command must I fill in to start Mandrake 10.1 ?
    I the couse maybe In the bootselection screen when you start the computer and can decide which operation system you want to use. What is happening, I want just start Mandrake 10.1

I know I am a novice with Mandrake Linux. Installing and working with Mandrake 9.2 was so easy and why is installing Mandrake 10.1 such a hell. Must I remove and reinstall Mandake 10.1 again for the 4th time.

Hans

When it says
    Code:
    [hans@localhost hans]
    try typing
    Code:
    startx
    hope this helps;

seasons greetings;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    After i type the command: startx the computer responds, momentarely I see the blue startup screen, the computer tries to start Mandrake 10.1 but than the flashing of the screen starts and I see the black screen with the following lines. Repieting this command gives the same responds.

What I see on the screen is this:

bla, bla, bla,. ------ ---- ------ ------
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default settings,
    (**) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) lof file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" , Time: Wed Dec 22 16:59:03 2004
    (==) Unsing config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    Using vt ?
    (EE) Failed to load Module "/user/X11R6/liv/modules/extensions/libglz.a" (once-only module, 135962511)
    Synoptics DeviceInit called
    SynopticsCtrl called.
    Synaptics DeviceOn called

Waiting for X server to shut down Synaptics DeviceOff called

[hans@localhost hans]$

If I type startx again then the whole cycle starts again.

What in the hell is happening. What is wrong? I feel that I have to start all over again. I can format the Linux partition again with partition magic in windows XP en try again. But how do I get ride of the blue boot screen where you can decide to start windows or Linux. How can I remove this boorloader to start fresh again.

Please help what to do?

Hans

Linux Guru
    First of all, let's just calm down a little. :smoke:

Secondly, let's explain a few things so you can get comformtable working with Linux. The prompt you keep seeing is similar to DOS. It's the core of Linux. You use it much more then DOS in Windows. In fact, even after you get a GUI going, you'll more then likely still use a "shell" in Linux. There are quite a few commands you can issue at this point. ls will list the contents of a directory, cd will change to another directory. Three commands we're going to use now are cat, pipe (|) and grep. The cat command displays the contents of a file. The grep command searchs for a keyword and the pipe command (|) will bring the two together.

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    This will search the contents of the file Xorg.0.log for any lines that contain errors, which should start with an EE. Post the results here.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast