Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I've installed Mandrake 8.1 on top of my Windows 98/Windows XP dual boot giving me a triple boot up,but I got the disks from a friend and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just discovered Mandrake 8.1 but have issues with sound

Hi all, I've installed Mandrake 8.1 on top of my Windows 98/Windows XP dual boot giving me a triple boot up,but I got the disks from a friend and have no manual. I have my internet working and one of my printers but can't get the sound to work.I have a Creative Labs SB Live Value sound card,Hardrake detects it as SB Live (does not mention the 'Value' bit) but the 8 bit sample can't be heard. I tried changing the sound detection in the KDE centre with no success,can anyone help? This is my first venture into Linux and I can see from many of the forums I viewed online that many people have a handle on it but when I put in the installaion disk, I stepped through a door not knowing what was on the other side. Now that I've had a look, I like what I see and want to get involved. Please bear in my,I've no grasp of the command line side of Linux yet.

Would really appreciale any help at all,thanks everyone.

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

dwm
    Just Joined!
    Why not get a newer version of mandrake first 10.1 is available

Thanks for that,but I would like to try solving it in the current version first as installing another version would take me some time and cost me about 60 to buy.I am sure this sound card should work with Mandrake 8.1 and it must be something I've missed somewhere in the set up.Has anyone in this forum been down this road already?

Martin,

Dublin,Ireland

Linux Engineer
    is all the sound feature enabled... in the menu you should have the icon of "mixer" and have a look if everything is enabled...

is it enabled in BIOS

what sound have you tryed so far... (cdrom, mp3, cda...)
    what player are you using...

can you post your
    Code:
    lspci
    reading as well if all (top) seems ok...

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi Ugo,
    In the KDE control center, all I have is a box reading 'Load volumes on login', this box is checked and two slide controls labelled 'Mximum number of probed mixers' & 'Maximum number of probed devices per mixer'. Both these slide controls are set to about half-way. I've tried playing an MP3 file and nothing happens other than the KDE Media Player appears for a moment on the start bar then disappears and when I put in an audio CD absolutley nothing happens. When I try to force the system to see the CD by right clicking 'Mount device' in the KDE control center I get this error message: "/dev/scd0:Input/output error mount:I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified"

With regards to the ISPCI reading, I've afraid I don't understand, where do I view that?

Thanks,

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Linux Engineer
    ok for the mounting issue thats something we could help on later
    as for the lspci,
    it's LSPCI
    as in LiSt PCI
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi again Ugo and a happy Christmas to you,

Please pardon my ignorance but I'm still not with you. What do I acccess to see this reading? Is it the KDE Center or the Mandrake Control Center and where do I click to display the reading? Also, I got the KDE mixer to run an MP3 file by changing the sound quality setting to 16 bits in the Sound Server I/O options in KDE Control Center but the sound still can't be heard.

Thanks a million and again, pardon my ignorance.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Just Joined!
    what he means is open up your konsole...type in "LSPCI" (without the quotations)

that should tell you what hardware is on your computer...he wants you to copy what comes up and post it in here..

jblfan

Hi all,

Sorry to be late getting back to you, I was away on holiday. Before I post the reading, would it be better if I upgrade to Mandrake 10.1? I picked up a copy in Amsterdam Airport on my way back to Ireland. The first reply I got suggested that and if it is the quickest way to resolve this issue, I'd be happy to try it.

Thanks again everyone,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Linux Enthusiast
    Upgrading is always a good idea in linux, unless the update is development stage, and even then it's pretty likely to work better.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast