Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just bought a Lenovo laptop, intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB H/D running Mandriva 2010.2. It has an Attansic 1GB ethernet card for wired connection which uses the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

known kernel bug

I have just bought a Lenovo laptop, intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB H/D running Mandriva 2010.2. It has an Attansic 1GB ethernet card for wired connection which uses the at11 driver. The logo on the task bar shows me connected to the internet but, after a time, the connection drops out and only a reboot fixes this (sometimes it doesn't). This is a known bug so what id the fix, where can I download it and how do I use it? I also need the codec for DVC (this is to make the output from the SVGA connector convertable to HDMI by a convertor unit). What is that called and where can I get it please? All help gratefully received.

Just Joined!
    Your internet connection is easy to fix.
    Go into your "Attansic 1GB ethernet card" settings and untick "disconnect when idle" or something similar, this will keep your internet connection logged on and to not disconnect.
    As for your SVGA to HDMI then all you need is a converter, it should be called SVGA to HDMI converter, the cost is around 10 to 20 maybe less, you can get these converters from any good computer store.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Firstly, there is no "disconnect when idle" field in Mandriva 2010.2 ethernet configure screen. As to the DVC, I have a converrter. The signal from my old laptop turns the LED green, that happens when it is working. The signal from the Lenovo does not turn the LED green as it appears not to support DV conversion. It heeds a codec installing in Mandriva to make this right

Just Joined!
    You do know Mandriva is a little old.
    To convert from DV files, you must have Apple QuickTime installed.

What is DV?

The format was first called DVC (as in Digital Video Cassette), later it was called simply DV. It is used in many consumer and professional grade digital camcorders.

Digital video (DV) can be captured from a DV camcorder, stored in a file on the user's computer, or stored on tape using a video tape recorder (VTR).

On Windows, DirectShow based DV capture program normally capture the DV into an AVI file. However, QuickTime based software would generally create a .DV file without the AVI header.

To convert DV video (with .dv extension) to other formats, please have Apple QuickTime is installed.