Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason, Mandrakelinux 10.1 is lagging terribly on my computer, even moreso than on an AMD K6. Here are the specs:[ 2.5 GHz Celeron 1 GB PC-133 RAM nVidio ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

10.1 Lagging Excesievly

For some reason, Mandrakelinux 10.1 is lagging terribly on my computer, even moreso than on an AMD K6.

Here are the specs:[
    • 2.5 GHz Celeron
    • 1 GB PC-133 RAM
    • nVidio GeForceFX 5200
    • 60 + 30 GB HDDs (4GB devoted to Linux; 1 GB swap separate)

I have KDE and Gnome both installed. Can someone explain why it's lagging and how to get it to run faster?[/list]

Linux Guru
    Use the 'top' command to see a listing of what processes are running as well as memory and process resource loading. Read the manual page to see options for displaying the information:
    Code:
    $  man  top
    $  top
    (hit 'q' to exit from 'top')
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Guru
    Can you explain lagging a little more? Slow app load time, slow net speeds, etc...

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    There are 86 processes running at any given time. The CPU is at an average of 15% load. 350 or so MD or RAM is used.

These lag times occurs every 10 minutes or so. IN SUper Tux, the FPS goes from 35 FPS to aroeund 0-5 FPS. I can't be much more specific, unless you tellme how to get stats.

Linux Guru
    At this moment, 'top' tells me I have 79 processes running and there were 86 when I first checked a couple of minutes ago. For what it's worth. What processor do you have, how much RAM do you have and how big is your swap partition? jeremy1701, maybe you can help me here, I'm stretching a bit: there is a routine that Linux runs on some schedule to check the integrity of the filesystem. Under certain circumstances, it can take alot of resources and, if your case is open, it can make you imagine that your hard drive is about to explode. I'd say what the process is, but since getting things under control and working usually with my big box, I don't pay much attention to it . But sometimes I see it going on in the system monitor applet at the bottom of my screen. If it's a big problem, maybe you should switch from Super Tux to Kbounce

Sorry, I just realized you already told us this:
    * 2.5 GHz Celeron
    * 1 GB PC-133 RAM
    * nVidio GeForceFX 5200
    * 60 + 30 GB HDDs (4GB devoted to Linux; 1 GB swap separate)
    1Gb RAM+ 1Gb swap is good....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I found the problem. My old webcam was having issues with the virtual meeting software. I just unplugged it, and performance returned.