Find the answer to your Linux question:
Till now I was unable to connect with the internet with Mandrake 10.1. I tried and tried through ppp.. and different netwerk wizards. In the wizard connection to a netwerk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which tool do I need to make a easy intenet connection

Till now I was unable to connect with the internet with Mandrake 10.1.
    I tried and tried through ppp.. and different netwerk wizards. In the wizard connection to a netwerk and the internet, I can find my provider but not my kabelmodem through ethernet in which you only need a loginname an password. That I can find my provider in a list but I can not set my modem over inthernet, can not find as modem = eth0 when I must select my modem. My kabelmodem uses the PPPoE protocol.

In comparision when I load knoppix-live-linux cd and I am in no time on the internet. There I go from start to internet and connect to a wizard called: ADSL/PPPoE configuration. When I start this wizard it immidiately detects my ethernet connection to the kabelmodem and makes cotact. Then through several steps I fill in my loginname = full emailadress and my password and it makes connection and I can surf the internet. Unforttanaly I could not exactely find the name for this tool but is something like: X-terminal , or python rings a bell.

My question is which package or tool is this (ADSL/PPPoE CONFIGURATION) and do I need to install an additional package or tool to use it in the same way as in th Knoppix-live-CD. An other question is which firewall do I need to install or is it already installed in the standard Mandrake 10.1

Hans

Just Joined!
    A router would be the best way to go

dwm
    Just Joined!
    As far as firewall Mandrake doesnt install a firewall...There is one included tho with the packages called shorewall

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmanjeff
    A router would be the best way to go
    Right on! Hardware firewall is best.

Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    As far as firewall Mandrake doesnt install a firewall...There is one included tho with the packages called shorewall
    Did not wont you to think that I do not agree with this. I do. It is just a software firewall though not pointless is no were as good as a good router/firewall.

Just Joined!
    But still want to now how to make internet connection with a kabelinternet modum which is connected to the ethernet port on my computer. How to do this en which package or software do I need to accomplitch this

Hans

Linux Newbie
    ???? Just plug it in.. From the wall to the modem and from the modem to the computer. A router will share the internet connection. You may also use it as a firewall. But just to get going ..... plug it up and open mozilla or what ever you like...

Linux Guru
    The wizard you seek resides in the MCC. To find him, you must first go through a series of harships and- Just kidding. It's in the MCC though. Go to start > configure > configure my computer (Not desktop). Select network > new connection and asdl will be one of your options.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks that was a very usefull tip. I am only. Only what is very confusing that in the screen netwerk and internet connection that there is also a choose for kabelmodem, which I tried before which is a dead end. I have a extern kabelmodem connected to the computer through the ethernet connection. The second confusing point is that at the country choose there is only KPN (national phone company) to choose from, and when you choose kabelmodem as an option there is indeed my provider in the list, but this is a dead end. This is something which I think must be inproved to make Mandrake linux user friendly for the public. But any way I am glad to be on the internet.

Hans