Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Guys, i've looked at a few posts relating to ethernet card and haven't seen any answers to my specific problem, so i apologise if i'm posting on a topic ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

configuring ethernet

Hi Guys, i've looked at a few posts relating to ethernet card and haven't seen any answers to my specific problem, so i apologise if i'm posting on a topic already covered.

I have just installed mandrake 10.1 download edition on dual boot with xp. Xp sees my asdl router/modem(alway on connection) over ethernet immediately, as did the installation of suse 9.1 which i previously ran.

On boot up i get this message " Bringing up interface eth0.....failed"

Any thoughts?

Chipset is nforce 2 ultra 400 pro with gigabyte lan

Linux Newbie
    Have you checked your files?
    su to root if not already
    Code:
    ifconfig

Linux Guru
    In MCC, go to networking, then click on new connection. Go through the wizard, specifiying that you have an asdl connection.

Good luck,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

mandrake 10.1 internet connection problem

I'm having same problem and given up. I try to go throught the wizard and select adsl. Then next page gives me a list of countries and says to choose my internet provider...but USA is not one of them...went through all the countries and none seem to match my provider(Verizon). I've tried to choose different internet connection types also (cable, modem, etc..) and still nothing. I previously had Suse 9.1 installed on this computer and currently also have XP and both connect to internet. Thought I would give Mandrake 10.1 a try. This is kind of an old computer but I go to "hardware" on config my computer page and it seems to rcognize my nic (dfe 530 tx+ fast ethernet adapter).

Just Joined!

Re: mandrake 10.1 internet connection problem

Quote Originally Posted by meezike
    I'm having same problem and given up. I try to go throught the wizard and select adsl. Then next page gives me a list of countries and says to choose my internet provider...but USA is not one of them...went through all the countries and none seem to match my provider(Verizon). I've tried to choose different internet connection types also (cable, modem, etc..) and still nothing. I previously had Suse 9.1 installed on this computer and currently also have XP and both connect to internet. Thought I would give Mandrake 10.1 a try. This is kind of an old computer but I go to "hardware" on config my computer page and it seems to rcognize my nic (dfe 530 tx+ fast ethernet adapter).
    If you have a router/modem combo, use "Ethernet" as your connection type. You do not need any client software as the router handles the client connection.

Just Joined!
    i had a similar error message in FC2. however activating the eth0 card, after the computer starts, solved the problem for me.

try activating the card using the root, after the computer boots.

Just Joined!
    My internet connection is a cablemodem attachted to the ethernet port of the computer. PPPoE protocol.

Maybe this can help. I had a similar problem. I also could find my country or provider in the list of countries. I could in the country list for my country only one provider (this is confussing I now). What solved the problem is just choose one from the list and just go on whith the wizard. And fill in the additional lines such as user and password. After that Madrake told me to put in a CD to install some additional files and after that my internet connection worked fine.

Before that I have been struggeling whit all kind of options suchs as cablemodem, ISDN, you name it, all a dead end. But eventually whit a tip I solved it as described above.

Hans

Just Joined!

still won't work

well, i configured the eth0 card using a static ip. The card is now "up", but i still can't get internet. The modem/router is running fine, other os's connect to it straight away. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've looked at every concievable option in config centre- I'm stumped!

Just Joined!

Re: still won't work

Quote Originally Posted by kristizz
    well, i configured the eth0 card using a static ip. The card is now "up", but i still can't get internet. The modem/router is running fine, other os's connect to it straight away. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've looked at every concievable option in config centre- I'm stumped!
    Is your router configured to connect PPOE to your DSL provider? (ie uname/pass).

Have you tried DHCP?

You might want to try one of the live distro CDs like knoppix just to see if it works.

g

Just Joined!
    For me more or less the same problem. PPoE to DSL provider (ie uname/pass) (dynamick ip adress)
    Yes I know this tool from the live Knoppix CD and now how simple it works. With knoppix I am in no time on the internet. Is that tool called DHCP? Where can I find the same tool on the Mandrake 10.1 installation cd's or do I need this tool from somewhere else?

Hans

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast