Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 official on my laptop. After going thru the installation process it hangs b/c it cant find a file and i get the following : ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.0 Official Wont Install!!!!

I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 official on my laptop. After going thru the installation process it hangs b/c it cant find a file and i get the following :
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    needs keybdev
    file-not-found-in-archive keybdev.ko (maybe you can try anouther boot floppy such as 'hdcdrom_usb.mg')
    warning, insmod failed (keybdev (null)) (2)
    Automatic: parameter cdrom for method means returning CDROM drivw
    have to insmod ide-cd
    needs cdrom
    needs ide-cd
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to install on my 7 year old PC (550MHz Amd athlon, 128MB RAM, 6GB hard drive) and I have absolutely no probs!!!). Also, no probs with installing FC(2 and 3) on my laptop...but I didnt like it. I think Mandrake is more user friendly.

Plz...I need heeelppppp

I have a Compaq Presario 900us, 1.47GHz Mobile Amd Athlon, 1GB RAM, Toshiba 60GB, DVD-R/CD-RW combo, WinXP SP2 and I'd like to dual boot
    with linux.

Linux Guru

Re: Mandrake 10.0 Official Wont Install!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr2_dude78
    I think Mandrake is more user friendly.
    Funny how I keep hearing that, but check the forums for Mandrake vs. Fedora and I think you'll find that the Mandrake questions/problems seem to be more in the area of installation and basic configuartion, where the Fedora postings are usually more application-oriented. Getting past the install, as you well know, is kind of important. Notebooks are tough, too because of more specialized hardware. No question that Mandrake is a good distro, so it's worth trying to work with. Have you tried a text install? You can accomplish anything in text that you can with the GUI install, and often with fewer problems. But then if Mandrake can't see your keyboard, that could be a problem.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    As the above text install or noprobe installs can get past most trouble. You will need to start the GUI once done. Have you tried 10.1 official? The install is supposed to be better for laptop users. The above is right on the Mdk vs. FC#. Why.. I do not know. I have tried to reproduce problems but I can not seem to. I know computers are different so that is the main reason. Question, what did you not like about FC#? I have never understood this. As far as look and feel KDE is KDE. I use BB and Enlightenment and on either box it is the same. So I wounder what it is that you do not like. ANY distro can be made into another....????????

Linux Guru
    Also, mr2_dude78, it may help to do the install using an external keyboard plugged into your ps/2 or usb port. Once the basic system is running, you can look deeper into getting the keyboard working. Biggest problem here is if you boot to test your on-board keyboard and it doesn't work, you'll need to kill power to reboot. As you probably know, Linux doesn't like that so much .
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!

help

I have olso install problem with same 10.1 . I downloaded 3 Cd from ofsite and when i tried to install after installer CD format my partitiof I should choese 1 or 2 o3 or 4 (How much I want, you know...) - and than I get this error message :

no hdlist nor synhesis to read for Installation CD1 (cdrom)

what the problem?

AMD Athlon 2800+
    512mb
    and Win XP Home
    (Partition Magic 8.0, I use option for installing 2 os)

Linux Guru

Re: help

Quote Originally Posted by snedan
    I get this error message :
    no hdlist nor synhesis to read for Installation CD1 (cdrom)
    what the problem?
    I don't recognize that message, at all. Sometimes there is a problem in making a good CD. I suggest you search Google or this forum to learn how to check the MD5 sum. If you cannot find the answer, post a new message on this forum with a "New Topic"
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    ok thnx I'll do that