Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im a newb when it comes to linux. I have recently been forced to copy my files from my winXp hdd to my Mandrake partition due to the dire ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Write my files to windows partition from mandrake

Hi, im a newb when it comes to linux. I have recently been forced to copy my files from my winXp hdd to my Mandrake partition due to the dire need for reformating.
    now that i have it all reformated and running well i have a little problem.
    I want to copy back those files from the mandrake partition to my winxp hdd.
    I have no clue how to do it as my /mnt/windows is always mounted without the write permission. I tried chmod 700 /mnt/windows but it comes up with this message

chmod: changing permissions of `windows/': Read-only file system

Can you please help me, as i am a newb ill prolly need it explained as best as possible.
    This is my fstab btw:
    /dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hdc6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
    /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanx guys i appreciate it heaps

Linux Engineer
    Your windows partition is NTFS, therefor it is impossible to write from linux.
    The solution for your issue, would be to create a partition that is FAT32 this way, both platform would be able to RW to it.

Dont hesitate to hit back if you require more information
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Actually it is not impossible.
    You simply have to recompile your kernel to support NTFS read/write support. as root:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    then select the appropriate options.
    then, assuming you are using a 2.6 kernel:
    make && make modules && make modules_install
    then you'll want to copy over a few files to your boot partition and change your grub/lilo configuration. for more details on how to do all this, google a kernel compilation tutorial

Linux Engineer
    NTFS driver, is in my personnal opinion nothing rock solid, and in the even that something goes wrong, you'll mess up the whole ntfs partition...

Impossible wasnt the appropriate term then... it can be done, but since
    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf
    Hi, im a newb when it comes to linux.
    ... I didn't think of anything like kernel recompilation just wanted to make everyones life a whole lot easier
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanx guys, ill c what i can do.
    I might b postin a few more msgs.
    Can youz tell me a good website that teaches pretty much everything bout linux and how to master it.
    Coz even tho im at uni doin computer science, my uni doesn't allow any access or information as to how/where to manipulate data. So i got as much power and privilidges as the tourists that come in for a visit even tho we are bragged on how we are lucky to be using and have access solaris 24/7, go figure.
    Thanx again guys