Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there, I have 10.1 up and running, everything is going perfectly except when I try to install Opera (and Firefox) I get a "Failed dependencies: libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)is needed by Opera ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

libstdc++.so.5 errors

Hi there,
    I have 10.1 up and running, everything is going perfectly except when I try to install Opera (and Firefox) I get a "Failed dependencies: libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)is needed by Opera
    libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by Opera"
    Now, I have checked my lib files and it appears that the version I have is libstdc++.so.6
    Is this an instance of my distro being too new for the software? Is there a way to replace the so.6 with an so.5? Or am I just way too dumb for Linux
    I've read through the software installation faq's here and searched around the forum a bit and haven't found anything related yet.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

go to http://rpm.pbone.net and do a search for rpm's which provide "libstdc++.so.5" (that is the default option).
    then download and install.
    if it yells at you about having a newer one on the system, just do a force:
    Code:
    rpm -i package.rpm --force

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your swift reply!
    I've tried forcing it and I still get the same error message. I'm guessing it's not recognizing the newer so.6 lib file. I wondered if you could just replace the so.6 with a so.5 or would that just make things worse?
    Thanks again!

did the so.6 file need forcing?

Just Joined!
    I have tried all the normal install routes and neither Firefox or Opera will install because of the file dependencies error. So, I tried the force and got the same error. I'm just taking a wild guess that because the file on my system is newer that the installer is not recognizing it. Is it possible that it's not looking in the right location for it?
    EDIT- This is the error I get with Firefox: "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    Is there a directory that is default for installs to look in that perhaps it's just not showing up in?
    Sorry for the hassle over something as trivial as a browser, but I really like Opera and have been using it for a number of years now and would like to continue using it.
    Thanks again

okay, you misunderstood me, but that's okay.
    all i'm asking: did you need to force the install of the so.5 file?

Linux User

Re: libstdc++.so.5 errors

Quote Originally Posted by kidlogic
    Hi there,
    I have 10.1 up and running, everything is going perfectly except when I try to install Opera (and Firefox) I get a "Failed dependencies: libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)is needed by Opera
    libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by Opera".
    You'd better looked for and installed libstdc++.so.5, because programs requiring it will simply not work if they don't have the correct version. And force-installing Opera is not likely to help, you'll have it installed but probably you'll be unable to run it.
    PS. It should be no problem finding an rpm for it. As far as I remember it was called libstdc++compat or something like this.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

kyuku, i wasn't trying to tell him to force install Opera, I was saying that if absolutely necessary, he could try to force install libstdc++.so.5

-lakerdonald

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    kyuku, i wasn't trying to tell him to force install Opera, I was saying that if absolutely necessary, he could try to force install libstdc++.so.5

-lakerdonald
    Yes I know, my answer concerned kidlogic's second post, perhaps the quotation wasn't too fortunate.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

ah
    sorry for the misunderstanding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast