Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help on this problem. Originally, in Mandrake 10.0, whenever you clicked on an email (Evolution) link, Epiphany would open the link. Even if Firefox was the intended default ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Click email link and Firefox opens home page!

I need help on this problem. Originally, in Mandrake 10.0, whenever you clicked on an email (Evolution) link, Epiphany would open the link. Even if Firefox was the intended default browser. I never could figure out how to get Firefox to open the link.

Now I have installed Mandrake 10.1 official with no problems and downloaded Firefox 1.0 and Thunderbird 1.0. Firefox and Thunderbird are working, but when I click on an email link, Firefox launches, but always opens the browser home page, no matter what the url was for the link!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Bob

Banned
    Has anyone solved this problem yet? I am having the same problem.Using Thunderbird, click on hyperlink, firefox opens homepage. Have googled myself blue on this. thanks.

Just Joined!
    Meep, you couldn't google it? I found the answer months and months ago, just a single line in Thunderbird's prefs.js.

Let's say the script you use to run firefox is at /usr/local/firefox/firefox. (Depends where you installed firefox, but you can change that yourself.)
    1. Close Thunderbird (it writes over prefs.js on close)
    2. Open prefs.js in your favorite text editor. (Should be ~/.thunderbird/blahsaltblah/prefs.js or maybe ~/.mozilla/thunderbird/...)
    3. Add the following line:
      user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/local/firefox/firefox");
      (You can add it alphabetical order, but I don't think it matters.)
    4. Open Thunderbird (it reads prefs.js now, go figure)
    5. Click on a link!
    You can use any executable script or program, in case you want to write wrappers like /usr/local/bin/firefox-in-new-tab-only or something. Changing prefs.js is the same thing as changing about:config in Firefox, if you were wondering.