Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Click email link and Firefox opens home page!

I need help on this problem. Originally, in Mandrake 10.0, whenever you clicked on an email (Evolution) link, Epiphany would open the link. Even if Firefox was the intended default browser. I never could figure out how to get Firefox to open the link.

Now I have installed Mandrake 10.1 official with no problems and downloaded Firefox 1.0 and Thunderbird 1.0. Firefox and Thunderbird are working, but when I click on an email link, Firefox launches, but always opens the browser home page, no matter what the url was for the link!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Bob

Has anyone solved this problem yet? I am having the same problem.Using Thunderbird, click on hyperlink, firefox opens homepage. Have googled myself blue on this. thanks.

Meep, you couldn't google it? I found the answer months and months ago, just a single line in Thunderbird's prefs.js.

Let's say the script you use to run firefox is at /usr/local/firefox/firefox. (Depends where you installed firefox, but you can change that yourself.)
    1. Close Thunderbird (it writes over prefs.js on close)
    2. Open prefs.js in your favorite text editor. (Should be ~/.thunderbird/blahsaltblah/prefs.js or maybe ~/.mozilla/thunderbird/...)
    3. Add the following line:
      user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/local/firefox/firefox");
      (You can add it alphabetical order, but I don't think it matters.)
    4. Open Thunderbird (it reads prefs.js now, go figure)
    5. Click on a link!
    You can use any executable script or program, in case you want to write wrappers like /usr/local/bin/firefox-in-new-tab-only or something. Changing prefs.js is the same thing as changing about:config in Firefox, if you were wondering.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close