Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I have few queries regarding RPM signature 1. what is a signature ? 2. How and why to verify it ? 3. what is a bad signature and what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RPM Signatures

hi,

I have few queries regarding RPM signature

1. what is a signature ?

2. How and why to verify it ?

3. what is a bad signature and what to do if a downloaded RPM has a bad signature?

the other question is regarding use of a RPM which is different from distro RPM, by different i mean version .
    The exact query is that i want to reinstall perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk along with the perl base because i have messed up with installation of perl5.8.6.
    i have to download RPM because i'm unable to configure my computer with drakconf. So searching google with the exact error i found the best way is to reinstall perl5.8.1. however problem is i'm getting perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3.1.92mdk.i586.rpm and perl-base-5.8.1-0.RC4.3.1.92mdk.i586.rpm instead of perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk
    and perl-base 5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk, which have some added patches.

Can anyone help me out.

I'm using Mandrake 9.2.

Quote Originally Posted by himanshu
    however problem is i'm getting perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3.1.92mdk.i586.rpm and perl-base-5.8.1-0.RC4.3.1.92mdk.i586.rpm instead of perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk
    and perl-base 5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk, which have some added patches.
    any extra patches that come with the .RC4.3dk rpms should come with the .RC4.3.x.mdk packages as well, since they are the same/newer version of the same branch.
    As for signatures, they are attached to RPMs in order to verify a package's integrity, similar to md5sum with ISO images. A package without a Signature is no cause for alarm, it just means that the system can't check its integrity. A package with an invalid signature is most likely a corrupted source, or your download went bad. Either redownload, or download from a different source.
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Thank you

No Problem