Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hey all, I've recently installed mandrake 10.1 on my laptop and I have no idea how to make my D-Link 650 card work. Can anyone talk me through how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Internet on Mandrake 10.1

Hey all,

I've recently installed mandrake 10.1 on my laptop and I have no idea how to make my D-Link 650 card work. Can anyone talk me through how to make this whole thing work? I've tried other websites and can't seem to get my head around it. Thanks,

-Judd

Just Joined!
    I just spent hours trying to get my card to work and I finally managed to using ndiswrapper. This is how I did it, there may be an easier way!

First of all I would download the latest version of ndiswrapper, you can get it as an RPM file so it is easy to install from here: ftp://194.199.20.114/linux/Mandrake/...-1mdk.i586.rpm
    Unless you are using the 64-bit version of mandrake that should be fine. Once you have it somewhere on your system just double-click on it to install.

Then you need to find out driver will work with ndiswrapper. There is a list here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...index.php/List

Download the appropriate driver and copy it somewhere, for example your home directory.

Then open a terminal program, for example Konsole.
    Type in su and press enter
    Type in your root user's password and press enter
    Type in ndiswrapper -i /the/path/to/the/driver/driver.inf

Hopefully there should be no errors at this point, obviously replace the path above with the real driver path.

Then type ndiswrapper -l and press enter.
    You card name should come up.

Now type modprobe ndiswrapper

Now the easiest thing to do is to go to this page:
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...p/Installation
    Scroll down to section 4 (and afterwards section 5) and follow the instructions there.

Now close konsole and go to 'Configure your Computer' in the KDE start menu thing.

Go to 'Network and Internet' and select 'Mange Connections'. Check that wlan0 or similar shows in 'Device Selected'. Choose it and press OK.

Now go to 'New Connection' and choose 'Wireless Connection' then OK. Select the driver 'wlan0' and press next. Go through the settings. Opertaing mode should be set to managed, and the ESSID to the name of your network you found during the scan earlier.

I was asked for Fragmentation and RTS/CTS which I didn't know so I left these blank.
    Also make sure you select the option to start automatically.

Once this is done, restart and your network should be working! It did for me!

If this works, please reply and let me know!

Just Joined!
    I can't seem to get this to work. I installed ndiswrapper fine and then did the driver ok but when i typed: ndiswrapper -l it said the correct driver but did not list my card. It said "hardware NOT installed." My card is also not listed under the hardware list in the configuration tool. I'm at a brick wall on how to get it to read as listed.

Also under the distribution specific instructions at: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p.../Distributions
    it lists some things that I need to do for Mandrake 10.1 but I'm not exactly sure how to do them. Thanks for any help.

-Judd

Just Joined!
    If you use the RPM, you do not need to follow those instructions (I don't think so anyway - I didn't).

Try removing the card, plugging it back in again. Also you could try a different driver, look at the other revisions of the card on the ndiswrapper cards list.

If you don't mind paying, http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader have a program that does what ndiswrapper does but much more easily.

Linux Guru
    Have you tried using the drivers from the DLink site?

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...ral%20Wireless

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure how to "use" the linux drivers from that link you posted. My main problem right now is that my card isn't showing up in the hardware list at all. The lights are on and it works when I boot to windows so I know the card is good. The card used to show up in Linux under the misc hardware and NOT as an network adapter.

-Judd

Just Joined!
    Also, I know this may be a newbie question. I am running Mandrake 10.1. How do I know what kernel version I'm running. Also, when programs say they need the kernel source or a link to it, what exactly does that mean? Thanks,

-Judd

Just Joined!
    One more question....I really think I could have this whole thing figured out but I cannot figure out how to save changes to files on my linux system. I don't know how to long in as root. I know typing 'su' in the console gives you root privileges but when I'm editing files in the text editor I can't save anything. How do I get root priviliges outside the console??

Judd

Until you get your system straightened out you may want to just go into root user. Exit out to KDM, (that user sign in thing) and type "root" without the quotes and press enter. When it asks for password, enter your root password and press enter. You should then be taken into KDE as root. Notice the red screen and the bombs? This means be careful about what you do.

Which editor are you using? gedit? Kate? Kedit? VIM?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    To find out your kernel version, use the uname command (http://seth.positivism.org/man.cgi/uname):

Code:
    uname -r
    To save your changes, edit the file as root by starting the editor from the terminal rather then GUI.

Code:
    $su
    #kedit Xorg.conf
    To use the file, login as root and execute it the binary that you downloaded.

Code:
    ./filename.bin
    Hope that helps,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast