Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just installed mandrake 10.0 from cd (3x) i done a complete install and it installed fine. only problem now is i havent got a clue what to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mog
    Just Joined!

have i made an error???????

i have just installed mandrake 10.0 from cd (3x) i done a complete install and it installed fine. only problem now is i havent got a clue what to do with it. I cant even get my intenet back on. i know nothing of linux and installed it to learn linux, have i made a mistake in using linux and should i go back to xp coz at the moment i cant do anything with my pc, it doesnt even want to run exe progs :S

thx for any advice you can give

M.

The reason exe progs don't work is that they are fir windblows and not linux.
    There are plenty of places in the web were you can get linux programs, as either rpm's or source. Check out this on how to install software in linux

Also use www.google.com/linux to find things out about linux.

What kind of internet connection do you have? and what kind of modem?

If you want you can dual boot with bothe xp and linux on the same drive but in different partitions;

hope htis helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

mog
    Just Joined!
    ok, i have a broadband adsl connection running through a router which i tried to use the wizard to configure the ethernet port but this did not work - thanks for links btw

I've found the following on the net (i've never used mandrake so I'm not sure how to set it up):
    I assume that your cable modem box is set to pass out IP addresses (DHCP). So you need to set your ethernet connection up to receive them.

Open up the Mandrake Control center
    Star/System/Configuration/Config Your computer
    enter your root pswd.
    Open Network and Internet
    Open Manage connections

Set it up for DHCP and any other info that you need in there.
    Apply it.

Then logout and then back in. You may have to restart X or reboot altogether but I think that a logout is enough.
    You may have to wait several min for the modem to pass out an IP address to the mandrake box. Once it does you are up and running.

I have had to do that 4 or 5 times on mandrake box's to get it to work though.

Anyway if you are using DHCP then you need to config the Mandrake box to receive them.
    dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

mog
    Just Joined!
    thanks for the help, i have now managed to get my internet working with your help and have managed to install macromedia flash player into the mozilla browser - phew, its a small task but was confused to begin with, is there any useful tools etc i can download for linux, i am still unsure if this is going to be an improvement to xp pro or not - it seems there are some useful functions on linux but i just need to learn its functionality. once again thanks for help

As for tools I'm not sure what you want to do with your linux box, some tools that programesr may need but desktop users may not need, can you say what you want to use linux for?
    For every program you have in windows there will be one almost the same in Linux.

Further reading: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-1154.html
    http://www.linuxcommand.org/

these will be usefull for you.

if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2