Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
Hey all; I've been off for quite a while, mostly because I haven't been owning a computer. Now I have one that comes with Windows 7, which I find rather ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Conver virtual Mageia to Physical?

Hey all;

I've been off for quite a while, mostly because I haven't been owning a computer.
    Now I have one that comes with Windows 7, which I find rather useful for work stuff and etc. Buuut, I have downloaded Oracle's VM Virtualbox, and I feel tempted to try out some Linuxes, as I would like to know how they have improved.

Thing is, I'm a bit of a noob, so I have a question that might seem silly.
    Is it possible to turn the Linux VM into a full blown partition if I wanted to?

All I found that might seem relevant is this:

http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/doc/V2P_TechNote.pdf

But I don''t know if those are the correct instructions, and if they are, I don't know if a newbie can follow them.

Any ideas on how to achieve this in a simple, yet effective way?

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you install a system in a VM such as VirtualBox, it thinks it is already running on a physical system. Since it is using some of the VM software's drivers and virtual hardware, you can't just "move" it to a physical device/partition. You can obviously backup your data, but you will need to re-install physically, including applications, and then move your data to the new physical device. A PITA, and if you figure out a way around this conundrum, I would be the first to want to know how!
    marianogedisman likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Alright then. I guess I'll have to settle with saving the data and then reinstalling everything from scratch! Which, I think sounds kinda sensible. Yeah, I suppose I was talking more about the data backup idea, but, you know, transfering a whole OS another computer (and maybe adjusting the drivers) sounds like a really cool idea.

Thanks for the info!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As an aside. When I install a system (I have multiple swappable boot drives), I always configure it to use another HD for data (/home etc), which is common to all the systems I run. When I install the user accounts on a new system disc, I use the same user/group IDs that the others use. This allows me to run multiple operating systems (multi-boot systems would be similarly configured) and still have access to the same data, source code, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!