Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've registered with this forum as I need some help, urgently. Three years ago, I made the decision to switch my Dell Dimension 3100 completely - and exclusive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP! Soundcard and SD Slot issues, installation of new software.

Hi all,

I've registered with this forum as I need some help, urgently.

Three years ago, I made the decision to switch my Dell Dimension 3100 completely - and exclusive - over to Linux, as a neighbour had converted my families systems quite successfully and Microsoft nearly destroyed the system.

For the first year, it was fine, however, despite requests to the neighbour to teach me how to learn how to use Linux and take ownership for myself, he's been incredibly unwilling to allow me any control over my own PC (he even locked the Root password with one of his own, which I've now successfully discovered after months of trying). This is left me as a complete Linux noob for three years.

The issue got worse when again, he updated my Mandriva to the current system I have now (I can't tell you which one exactly, I'll come back to you). He then got taken ill, disappeared which has left me adrift in terms where I can go next.

However, the problems that require urgent resolution are:

- I discovered, three weeks after the last update, the sound card hasn't been installed as part of the update.
    - I discovered, yesterday, that the SD card reader now no longer works and won't read Memory cards.
    - I also need to install an update to convert m4a to WAV, but have no idea how to install a new piece of software.

Is there anyone out there who can, step-by-step, take me through these issues and how to fix them? As I work in audio, this is a problem I've been trying to work out how to solve for months, but all I see is some very dense, confusing forum discussions on the matter online.

Please keep it simple - I really love Linux, but have NO idea how it works, so treat me gently please!

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    The issue got worse when again, he updated my Mandriva to the current system I have now (I can't tell you which one exactly
    I don't believe Mandriva is being developed any longer so the first thing you need to do is let us know which distribution of Linux you are using. There are over 500 different distributions and they do not all work the same. Due to the nature of Linux not being a monolithic corporation controlled by one source, anyone with the desire and skill can create a distribution. Installing software methods vary from distribution to distribution. Also, how old/new is your hardware.

If you don't see the name of the distribution on boot, you can find out by opening a terminal or konsole and typing: cat /etc/issue. If that doesn't show try: cat /etc/release then post the output here. Post some information on your computer hardware, sometimes people try to install software which is not compatible, the software is too new and the hardware too old or vice versa.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I don't believe Mandriva is being developed any longer so the first thing you need to do is let us know which distribution of Linux you are using. There are over 500 different distributions and they do not all work the same. Due to the nature of Linux not being a monolithic corporation controlled by one source, anyone with the desire and skill can create a distribution. Installing software methods vary from distribution to distribution. Also, how old/new is your hardware.

If you don't see the name of the distribution on boot, you can find out by opening a terminal or konsole and typing: cat /etc/issue. If that doesn't show try: cat /etc/release then post the output here. Post some information on your computer hardware, sometimes people try to install software which is not compatible, the software is too new and the hardware too old or vice versa.
    Thanks. This is what I got:

Mandriva Linux release 2010.2 (Official) for i586
    Kernel 2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb on a Dual-processor i686 / \l

I'm not sure how to pull up my PC specs. Is there a way to do this through Terminal?

Linux Guru
    Do you have any icons at the bottom of your Desktop after logging in? Mouse over them and see what they say. I don't use Mandriva and never have but posting that info might help. You can try these commands separately, hit the enter key after each one and save the output in a text file to post here. Particularly, look for anything referencing your sound card. You need to run these as root user so log in to a terminal as root: lspci, lsusb, lshw

The link below has info on configuring hardware on Mandriva. No date on it so I don't know how helpful it will be. The second link provides a number of commands you should be able to run to get info. I'd run them all as root.

Docs/Hardware - Mandriva Community Wiki
    What is the Linux command to find out hardware info? - Super User