Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! I am new here. I tried installing Mandrake 10.1 Official on my ThinkPad R30. I encountered no problems during the installation process but when it came to the point ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 installation problems

Hi! I am new here. I tried installing Mandrake 10.1 Official on my ThinkPad R30. I encountered no problems during the installation process but when it came to the point that I was booting it up, that's when trouble started.

I chose linux in LILO and I had it in verbose mode and there were no apparent problems. I was expecting the log on dialog, like which user would log in but nothing came up on the screen. I left it like that, thinking it might take a while but still nothing happened. I tried re-installing but the same problem happened. Please help me. Thanks!

Linux Guru
    When you ran the Xorg wizrd and setup your GUI, did you select the option to automatically start X when booting?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I know I did. Hmmm. Maybe I should try re-installing MDk 10.1 official later and see that. But I think I did.

I'll post again sometime towards the end of the week, unless I get to install it later.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I will have to double check when I install.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Make sure that you run the Xorg config tool. It's easy to miss as you have to select it. You're no longer prompted for it.

Jeremy

Just Joined!

XOrg

I tried reinstalling last night. I selected the option to run XOrg but when I rebooted, nothing happened.

On LILO I selected linux then hit the ESC key to get into verbose mode. After the messages appeared, the hourglass appeared. Then nothing happened

I am not sure what to do anymore. Maybe it's a bad copy of the ISOs? Or bad media?

What do you think?

Linux Guru
    Did you test the Xorg configuration when you ran the wizard? If so, you should have seen a rainbow background with an option to accept or reject the settings. If it worked and you accepted the settings and made sure to start X on startup, then that's bad If you didn't do those steps, try it one more time.

If you did all those, try booting into single user mode, then run the command

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    Post the results here.
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I will post an update once I try this out. Thanks again!

Just Joined!

I encounted the same problem on my notebook ACER 1861WLMI

Installed smoothly, configed the XORg and setted to autostart with X, install LILO on the linux partion, after reboot it shows BIOS data checked and cannot continue bootup.

Just Joined!
    when i installed 10.1 its skipped where i should shouse root.. what should i do??how log in?

Linux Guru

Re: I encounted the same problem on my notebook ACER 1861WLM

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_He
    Installed smoothly, configed the XORg and setted to autostart with X, install LILO on the linux partion, after reboot it shows BIOS data checked and cannot continue bootup.
    So now you have a different probem
    Do you have any external devices attached on your USB port? I've heard this can cause problems? Also are you by chance using RAID?

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast