Find the answer to your Linux question:
(' ') Hi. This is my second attempt at mastering Linux in one year and I still can't find simple instructions to install applications not bundled with the distro. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing programs not included in distro

('') Hi. This is my second attempt at mastering Linux in one year and I still can't find simple instructions to install applications not bundled with the distro. The first time was with 9.2 (powerpack) and this time, it's with 10.1 pp. This version is apparently more stable in spite of the numerous bug corrections and security fixes. But installing foreign applications (compatible with Linux) seems to have become more difficult. The case in point is presently Firefox in a binary file. I may try with downloading the rpm. Y a-t-il une bonne âme frottée de Linux ('')

dwm
    Just Joined!
    Currently I am using slackware, and have had no troubles at all installing and running. I gave up on RPMS ahwile ago..Good luck tho

Have a look at this link on installing apps in linux: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19957.html

as for Forefox I think you have to tuntar the file (like said in link) and then there is a file you click (I think it is called install-firefox) and a install wizzard will run.

hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am having the same problem with installing applications outside the distro (Mandrake 10.1). I follow the directions in the link provided and the ./config doesn't work. The file can't be found.

Also, I am having a problem playing audio CDs they appear to be playing but there is no sound. I know the sound is working because I have sounds everywhere else. I had the same problem with 10.0 but I found another media player in the distro that worked but so far in 10.1 no such luck. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by gmassey
    I am having the same problem with installing applications outside the distro (Mandrake 10.1). I follow the directions in the link provided and the ./config doesn't work. The file can't be found.
    OK are you sure you have untared the downloaded file?
    If you have than have you used the cd command to the untared file created?
    If you have check that the program you are trying to install has a configure file, some do not and go straight to the make command.

Other prorams like OpenOffice and NetBeans have installers in their un tared directories;

hope this hepls;

dylunio

p.s. post your other questiom in a new topic gmassey instead of hijacking this one, you might get more replies then
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Guru

Re: Installing programs not included in distro

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    The case in point is presently Firefox in a binary file.
    What, exactly, is the problem?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Problem solved

Thank You all for your help. I am now using Firefox, and found instructions at the Mozilla site, under release notes. " Extract the tarball and run the installer like so:
    tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz
    cd firefox-installer
    ./firefox-installer
    If you have Nautilus set up to run Executable Text Files you can just double click firefox-installer to run. " The last did not work in my case, but the use of the console was successfull. -- To jeremy 1701: I thought the problem could be in the downloaded format, but it was not. Thank you again. JCC.