Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Mandrake 10.1 and when I restarted there was no option on which operating system I want to boot. The system boot Windows. What should I do?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No boot option

I installed Mandrake 10.1 and when I restarted there was no option on which operating system I want to boot. The system boot Windows. What should I do?

When you installed mandrake what bootloader did you use? LILO or GRUB or another?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    LILO

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I previously had "booting" problems and i used recovery console of win xp and typed MBR in order to get back to win xp, but now i installed mandrake there is no lilo!

There's the problem, you have overwritten LILO with the XP loader, both can't be on the MBR the same time.

You will have to re-install the bootloader. I take it that you have not got a boot disk? Since I don't use mandrake I am unsure of how to repair LILO, try booting from your mandrake CD and selecting to repair the bootloader.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    After the ploblem's appearence i boot from mandrake dvd and i chose repair bootloader but nothing hapenned..

Is there a choice to re-install the bootloader? since one can't realy repair something that dosn't exist (e.g. LILO on the MBR).

If all else fails you can try a full re-install of mandrake maybe,but try to use GRUB as a bootloader.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Yes, that choice exists! There is a choice to restore win bootloader and a chose to reistall the linux bootloader. I have chosen both. Is there any way to make linux appear on the win bootloader (i mean my computer's properties, advanced tab, where it refers to boot options)?

Just Joined!
    Should all the partinions exist on the same disk? Where the win xp are installed? Or it doesn't matter?

You have to install the LInux LOader (LILO) or Grub for linux to boot, you can't use the xp one since Uncle Bill dosn't want that.

You can have all the partitions on the same disk, the important thing is to have a bootloader like LILO or GRUB on the MBR so that it would boot.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast