Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbie to Linux, and I just installed Linux Mandrake 9.2 (Discovery version) on a machine at my workplace. This is a dedicated Linux machine. The problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Make a Linux workstation part of Windows 2000 Server LAN ?

I am a newbie to Linux, and I just installed Linux Mandrake 9.2 (Discovery version) on a machine at my workplace. This is a dedicated Linux machine.
    The problem is that I want to connect this computer to our company's LAN which is windows based. When I login to the Linux machine under userid 'sunil' and try to 'Connect' using 'Network Configuration' wizard, it fails to connect to the LAN, even though the LAN cable is properly connected to this Linux machine.

Any pointers as to what steps I should take to make the Linux machine a part of our company's windows-based LAN? Do I need to create a Windows 2000 server account with the same userid/password as the one I am using to login to the Linux machine, before I use the Network wizard?

Linux Engineer
    edit manuallly your /etc/hosts file adding the ip for linux box and windows box in a different line like
    ip of winbox hostname alias
    ip of linuxbox hostname alias
    then ping the windows machine...
    if it ansewrs then try to connect.otherwise check for some firewall blocking the connection or the iptables(man iptables)
    Linux For Ever!