Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i'm a newbie but i finally got my 'make menuconfig' command to run after selecting a preset config file i exit and save the file.(maybe som went wrong??? i'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question make ulmage problem

Hi i'm a newbie but i finally got my 'make menuconfig' command to run
    after selecting a preset config file i exit and save the file.(maybe som went wrong??? i'll paste the procces 2 below)

now i want to generate the ulmage kernel, but i get this:

[root a localhost linux-2.6.27.8]# make menuconfig
    scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/arm/Kconfig
    #
    # using defaults found in /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb
    #
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:3944:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_MON
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:3996:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:3997:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_FREECOM
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:3998:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_ISD200
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:3999:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_USBAT
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4000:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_SDDR09
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4001:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_SDDR55
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4002:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4003:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_ALAUDA
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4004:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_ONETOUCH
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4005:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_KARMA
    /boot/config-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb:4006:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for USB_STORAGE_CYPRESS_ATACB
    #
    # configuration written to mini3250_800x480_touch_config
    #

*** End of Linux kernel configuration.
    *** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.

[root a localhost linux-2.6.27.8]# make ulmage
    make: arm-vfp-linux-gnu-gcc: Command not found
    scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
    *** You have not yet configured your kernel!
    *** (missing kernel .config file)
    *** Please run some configurator (e.g. "make oldconfig" or
    *** "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig").
    make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
    make: *** No rule to make target `ulmage'. Stop.
    [root a localhost linux-2.6.27.8]#

Can sombody pleace help me

thanks in advance

Start by typing "make mrproper" to clean up the mess. Then copy your chosen config file into the toplevel kernel directory under the name .config. It's very important that you use this name.

Now you can run "make menuconfig". Make any changes you want, then save and exit.

Finally type "make" (not "make ulmage"!). This will build both the kernel and its modules. To install the kernel, you will need to find it first! It will be in the "arch" directory under the appropriate architecture for your computer and it will be called bzImage. Copy it to your boot directory under a name that begins with vmlinuz -- for example vmlinuz-ulmage-2.6.27. Then type "make modules_install" to install the modules in /lib/mod/2.6.27.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com