Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, I am new to the forums, so Hello But I bring a problem, I am trying to run Windows 8 on a virtual machine, It will be for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mageia - Virt-Manager cant use PCI-Passthrough

Hello there, I am new to the forums, so Hello

But I bring a problem, I am trying to run Windows 8 on a virtual machine, It will be for gaming and the fact I can snap back to an earlier point in case of any viruses.

But the issue I have is the fact I cant get my AMD 6870 to run in the VM, I have both iGPU and dGPU on, VT-d is turned on, I can also run the VM without a PCI card enabled in the settings, Have I missed something or is my card not supported via passthrough at all?

Here is the output from VM when I attempt to launch with PCI enabled.

Code:
    Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: host doesn't support passthrough of host PCI devices
    This is the Trace call back

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 91, in cb_wrapper
        callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 127, in tmpcb
        callback(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1260, in startup
        self._backend.create()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 866, in create
        if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
    libvirtError: unsupported configuration: host doesn't support passthrough of host PCI devices
    Its been bugging me for a while now, Would it be better to just run bare-metal on 2nd HDD? But I want that as a final option.

Any information from anyone here? I am running Mageia 4, My system specs are as follows.
    i5 2500 3.3Ghz
    8GB 1600Mhz RAM
    G1 Sniper M3
    XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB (Barts)

Thanks in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is the host OS, and what is the virtual machine manager you are trying to use? Also, I am not familiar with Mageia. Have you tried other VMM's such as VMware, VirtualBox, or hardware-level virtual manchines such as KVM?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!