Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux, so bare with me. I have an HP desktop and after installing Mandrake 10.1 on it smoothly, the bootloader completely freezes. I have tried re-installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After installing Mandrake 10.1, having bootloader problems

I am new to Linux, so bare with me.

I have an HP desktop and after installing Mandrake 10.1 on it smoothly, the bootloader completely freezes. I have tried re-installing with both LILO and GRUB, and I get the same problem each time. The bootloader has been installed on MBR each time...

When I use LILO, after I boot my computer it just says L with a repeating 80. (L 80 80 80 80 and so on infinitely). When I use GRUB, it just say GRUB on the screen and doesn't do anything.

This problem also prevents me from booting into Windows XP. I pretty much can't do anything. I really hope I don't have to do a clean Windows install over this...

(P.S. I am installing Linux on a different HD than Windows)

L 80 means that LILO loaded, but it cannot find the boot.b file (in most cases). Are you sure that LILO is installed, you have disabled any anti-virus in the bios etc? Can you boot into Mandrake using the Mandrake CD any try to see if the path's in lilo.conf are correct?

Just Joined!
    I am currently using GRUB, so the LILO info you gave me won't work. I (think) I solved the problem. I changed some configurations in my BIOS regarding the HD and now GRUB loads. The only problem now is that it gives me a command prompt [grub> ] and I don't know what to type in to load anything. It says press tab for a list of commands. I can see the commands, but don't know how to use them.

I think I type in "kernel /path/to/kernel". If so, what is the path to my kernel?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, I put the install CD back in, pressed F1 and typed rescue. I chose Mount under /mnt or something like that, and it says cannot find root partition. I chose Re-install bootloader. Same problem.

I found this link: http://mandrakeusers.org/lofiversion...hp/t20695.html

That guy seems to have the same problem I have. I don't know, maybe you can glean some information from that post.

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, I've got everything working fine now.

Linux Guru
    Rekkr, can you post the solution for everyone to see?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I reinstalled but chose "Erase existing partitions" instead of customizing my partitions. Then it asked on which harddrive I wanted this done, and I chose hdb (my second HD). The error must have been in customizing the partitions...