Find the answer to your Linux question:
Two problems. First, I am trying to mount a hard drive which I put in AFTER the installation of Linux. When I use: mount -t <filesystem> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/path Everything seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with mounting hard disks

Two problems.

First, I am trying to mount a hard drive which I put in AFTER the installation of Linux.

When I use:
    mount -t <filesystem> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/path
    Everything seems to work fine, until I go to access the drive I just mounted. I get an error saying I don't have the proper permissions. The same thing happens when I try to mount the partitions through the Control Center.

The other problem is with the drives I already have mounted (they mounted themselves on their own after the installation of Linux), I cannot change anything on the drives. I can't delete or add anything to the drives but I can open the files already on the drive. What can I do so that I have full read/write access to my mounted drives?

By the way, all the partitions which I am trying to mount are either NTFS or FAT32, both of which Linux (or Mandrake 10.1 at least) can support.

(EDIT: I'm pretty sure the reason I can't access the mounts I create through the BASH prompt is because they were created by root. When I try to create a mount while not being root, I get "only root can do that". So all I need is a way to change folder permissions...)

Code:
    umount /mnt/mountpoint
    mount -t <fstype> /dev/whatever /mnt/mountpoint -o rw
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but it still doesn't work. Same error message saying I don't have the permissions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    NTFS is only has read fully suported, write is a very risky business and can lose you a drive.

To mount readonly ntfs:
    Code:
    su
    rootpass
    chmod 444 /mnt/path
    to mount fat32 which is fully suported in linux:
    Code:
    su
    rootpass
    chmod 777 /mnt/path
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!