Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
enter into a terminal: Code: su - drakxconf this escalates you to root accout priviledges, and then runs drakxconf....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

enter into a terminal:
    Code:
    su -
    drakxconf
    this escalates you to root accout priviledges, and then runs drakxconf.

Just Joined!
    Alright I tried that and it gives me a menu that's labeled "Control Center" and it tells me to "choose the tool you want to use". I don't know what getting here did for me, but if anyone tells me to try something else next time, could you try to go a little past the command, because it makes rebooting the computer a big hassle if you don't tell me what to do next.

This is a little off subject, but wasn't the point of Mandrake to make switching to Linux easier? And if so, why do they insist on making it harder than Windows. I've installed Windows many times and I've never needed to know my monitors v and h sync and manually select my video card. If switching to Linux is like this for the masses then I can't see why it would replace Windows as the standard any time soon.

well, these configuration tools usually do a decent job at guessing good default values. and please don't yell at us for not "giving you enough" help.

Just Joined!
    I wasn't yelling, i was just asking and stating why I was asking. Sorry if I came off as rude.

well, under the Control Center, there should be something that mentions your Video/Graphics/etc. Settings. go there and you'll probably only need to know this:
    desired resolution (even windows needs this) and video card (though mandrake might detect that as well. if not, look into your hardware list in windows)

Just Joined!
    I can tell it my desired resolution, but it always asks me when i confige xorg for my monitors max resolutions and frequencies (which windows does not). I looked up my monitor on the internet and all I could find was the vertical sync range and max rez, but not hsync or maz freq. I'll try the Video settings from this window this time, I'll be right back to post what happens.

Just Joined!
    Here is what I got when I tried to Test my configuration in "Display"

Code:
               XFdrake
    and error occured:
    (EE) No devices detected.

Try to change some parameters

Ok
    then I press OK, then Quit

Code:
               XFdrake
    Keep the changes?
    The current sonfiguration is:

Xorg 6.7.0

Keyboard layout: en_US
    Mouse type: ExplorerPS/2
    Monitor:
    Graphics card: nVidia Corp. NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (generic)
    Color depth: 256 colors (8 bits)
    Resolution: 1152x864
    Xorg driver: nv

Yes                  No

Well, it looks like you need to select your Monitor.

Just Joined!
    I selected Plug n Play because no "resolution @ some Hz" would test and pass (which it still doesn't).

Just Joined!
    Try this:

Reboot and log in as root, and type "init 4" This will bring you down a runlevel, and shut down your X server, and some other services you probably don't need.

Now, hit Ctrl+Alt+F7. This will bring you into a virtual terminal. There are seven of these preconfigured, and each one takes you to a seperate terminal. F1 to F6 are a standard bash shell, and F7 contains your GUI. Now, sign in as a normal user, or whever you want to sign in as (Mandrake descourages running as root all the time, fairly smart in my opinion), and type "startx" and let X do it's debugging crap (And don't type ANYTHING in that virtual terminal) It should work for you.

My thanx to r00lk for this trick.

As for the ease of mandrake and windoze, you have the wrong attitude. Don't go into linux beleiving it will be like windows, because it isn't. Go into linux knowing you are running a faster, more stable, more secure, and a lot less boring operating system.

/Pisces

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast