Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear All, I am a Linux newbie and have recently installed Mandrake 10.1 to make a dual-boot with my windows system until I become more comfortable and confident on Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need a little help please.

Dear All,

I am a Linux newbie and have recently installed Mandrake 10.1 to make a dual-boot with my windows system until I become more comfortable and confident on Linux. I have a few questions which I hope you may be able to help me with.

1. I have an internal LG 56Kbps Voice Modem which Linux recognises as a AliCorp 56K SmartLink Modem. Whatever I install, the system can't connect to the modem. What must I do to get this working as all other peripherals work fine. I have hunted around on the net and found a driver named “slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz” but how or where must I install this to make the modem work?
    2. How can I chose whether I want to run a KDE desktop or GNOME desktop as I have both installed?
    3. How can I make sure that any changes I make to the desktop, for example renaming shortcuts, stay that way when I logout and reboot?
    4. I have installed various programmes for KDE whilst running KDE which have not shown up on the start menu. Where can I find them and how do I run them?
    5. Also, how can I resize the partition on which I have linux installed to make more space to install more packages as when I try and unmount the partition it says there is an error and it can't unmount the drive. So far I have had to delete the home/directory and had to re-install the whole operating system so that I could re-partition file:/

I would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,
    Rob.

1)
    Code:
    tar xvfz slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz
    cd slmodem<tab>
    #that is, hit tab#
    and then read either the readme or install file for details on how to install it
    2)when you login there should be a list of "Sessions" to choose, and choose either KDE or GNOME. if not, then try this from the terminal:
    Code:
    switchdesk
    3)Why are you asking this? Have you been having problems or something? It should be permanent, the changes you make.
    4)You can create shortcuts on the desktop to them, or you can just run from the terminal:
    Code:
    programname
    so if for example you installed xine, just run:
    Code:
    xine
    from the terminal, or make a shortcut whose "command" is:
    Code:
    xine
    5)I'm not sure that I understand your problem with the disk space? What is the EXACT error when you try to unmount the drive?

-lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    lakerdonald,

Thanks for such a quick response,

In respect to question 1. In which directory should I store the file as it is currently in my windows partition as that is the only way i can access the internet and download the driver. Also must i type in the code in the "terminal" of my GUI?
    Concerning question 3 for example when i am a normal user on the desktop my scanner has a long-winded name similar to "Kooka-Mustek etc etc" and everytime i rename it to just "Scanner" and reboot it comes up with the old name. is there some way of saving changes when i logout or such?

4. When I install them how do i know what the run name is? How can i find what it is once it has been installed and where is it actually installed to? Do i also do this from the "terminal" from the GUI?

5. I have found that as i become more accustomed to Linux and want to add Open Office for example and i have too little space on the partion where packages are installed i want to resize my home partition which is possible as this can be unmounted from the command center or from diskdrak but then i want to resize the file:/ partition to use up the empty space created. When i try to unmount the partition an error message comes up informing me this is not possible as it is in use or it says the partition doesn't seem to exist. Also is there a way that i can change the default partition of where packages are installed to?

Thanks again for being so helpful, I really appreciate it. Linux is very interesting for me and i still need to find my feet a little! Cheers,
    Rob.

hold on hold on.
    for number 1, you can have the files on your windows partition
    and yes you should type all "code" (unless stated otherwise) into either a terminal or in console mode.
    for 3, i can't really help, as I use neither KDE nor GNOME
    concerning question 4, the "run" name as you said is the name of the program you installed.
    for number 5, you are way off the mark i would say. the umount error has nothing to do with how much space you have left on the drive. it is an error, because you or some program is currently using the drive. close all programs accessing that drive, and cd out of that directory.
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    I have tried to intall the modem driver as instructed but in the terminal window i get an error concerning a gcc here is the text from the terminal window:

[robert@localhost robert]$ cd slm
    slmodem-2.9.10 slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz
    [robert@localhost robert]$ cd slmodem-2.9.10
    [robert@localhost slmodem-2.9.10]$ make
    make -C modem all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/robert/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_main.o -c modem_main.c
    make[1]: gcc: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [modem_main.o] Error 127
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/robert/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    make: *** [modem] Error 2
    [robert@localhost slmodem-2.9.10]$

Any thoughts please!?!!

Rob.

well a)you should be root, and b)you need to install gcc.

Just Joined!
    Lakerdonald, I can't thank you enough for nursing me through this!! Where can i find GCC and what is it? I had tried doing it in root but to no avail!! But at least i hope if i can install GCC it may eventually work. Thanks a million.

Rob

doing it as root won't do squat if you are sans gcc.
    gcc = gnu c compiler, and you can get it from:
    http://rpm.pbone.net
    then install it with urpmi
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    I've come across another problem. It comes up wiht another error after i try to enter "make install"

[root@localhost slmodem-2.9.10]# make
    make -C modem all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    [root@localhost slmodem-2.9.10]# make install
    make -C modem all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
    make -C drivers KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk/build
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
    cc -I/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk/build/include -o kernel-ver kernel-ver.c
    make all KERNEL_VER=2.6.8
    make[2]: Entering directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
    make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk/build SUBDIRS=/root/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown directorymake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    [root@localhost slmodem-2.9.10]#

Help!!! This is getting tedious now! Thanks for your support lakerdonald.

do you have the kernel-source installed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast