Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I've just upgraded from Mandrake 8.1 to 10.1 official. Things are good, I have sound, good graphics plus many other features I couldn't get to work in 8.1. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 official & have a few small is

Hi all,

I've just upgraded from Mandrake 8.1 to 10.1 official. Things are good, I have sound, good graphics plus many other features I couldn't get to work in 8.1. But I'd appreciate if anyone can answer these few litte issues I still have:

When I put in a music CD, the KDCD application runs but I can't hear the music. I hear all the other sounds on boot-up and shutdown, so the sound card is working.

The TV application was working with my WIN TV Go card, but now the picture won't display, even though the setting are correct as 'Compostie 1' for video source (that worked originally) and the transmission typre is set to 'PAL', region 'Ireland', any ideas?

Finally, how do I get Kaffeine Media Player work with my DVD drive? The message says 'No plugin found to handle this resource', what's the next step? Oh, and I used to be able to view my Windows files through the KDE Control Center in 8.1 but I don't have the option to view the hard drives contents in this version., is it possible in 10.1?

Thanks to all

Martin, Dublin

Linux Engineer
    When I put in a music CD, the KDCD application runs but I can't hear the music. I hear all the other sounds on boot-up and shutdown, so the sound card is working.
    This will only work if your cdrom is connected directly to your MB.
    here for Kaffeine.
    You might have to install
    • libcdaudio
    • Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) utilities

for audiocd support

As for the NTFS partition, control center isnt the place to have access to your ntfs data...
    for further support on that, please post your output on those
    Code:
    as root
    fdisk -l
    cat /etc/fstab
    cat /etc/mtab
    As for the tv application, im of no use... (never tryed) try google'ing.. for help.. if you could post any error message encountered while trying to get your app to work, im sure theres someone in here that knows how.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi Ugo,

I should have pointed out that I have triple boot of Mandrake 10.1, Windows XP Pro & Windows 98SE. My CD Roms work in Windows, always have, so I know it's not a connection issue, it must be something in the setup of KDCD because the TV application had no sound until I chaged the settings.

With regards to my Windows files, they're all FAT32 format, so Linux should be able to read them, I just don't know where to access. The TV card issue, I'll try running the Instattion Wizard again.

Thanks

Martin, Dublin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    listening to audio cd under linux is different from windows, follow the step I gave you, you'll have it playing in no time.

as for the file, run
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to know whats the name of the partition that your file are under, and from there we'll be able to give you more info... Usually, /mnt/hd_something...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi again Ugo,

The libcdaudio package is on the DVD Rom all right, but when I try to install it, the non DVD drive opens! Then, of course, when I put the DVD Rom into that drive, the system can't read it!! Is there a way to point the O.S. to the correct drive?

As to the posting, when I type 'fdisk -1' into the Konsole, it's not accepted as a command. Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never run a command line in Linux in my life, this is all new to me.

Thanks again for all the help.

Martin,
    Dublin, Ireland

Linux Engineer
    For dvd playing, you need another library, audio cd and dvd are different... libdvd* something.
    in the software your using, there a config you can set your dvd, audio source. whats the software your using?

as for the fdisk -l command it
    Foxtrot
    Delta
    India
    Sierra
    Kilo
    space
    -
    Lima

That's libdvdcss you're searching for. Once you have that name you should get it easily enough through google. Legal reasons and such mean it's hard to push out with the distro.

While you're at it, you may as well look for lame, bladeenc, flac and faac for you're music ripping efforts later. Same legal jargon with lame and bladeenc but a google will get them easily enough and they're all reasonably small.

Good luck!

Bigtomrodney, also from dublin...

[/b]

Hi Ugo, hi BigTomRodney,

The DVD's now run, I'm using Kaffine, but most can't be read in Linux, some legal issue with encryption but region-free DVD's work fine, so that's one problem solved.

I still can't extract the libcdaudio install from the DVD Rom as the controlcentre reads the lower drive which is a CD Rom, the DVD is above it and I can't find where to point it to the right drive. I tried copying the files onto a CD rom in Windows XP but Linux won't accept the copy and when I try a Google search for the download, all I get are sites in other languages I can't read. Do you guys know of a site in English where I can download and install without going to command line (that was the case with Kaffine)? Or can you advise me how to get the Mandrake Center to switch CD ROM drives?

With regards to fdisk -l, here's the data Ugo,

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 2205 17711631 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda2 2206 3736 12297757+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 2206 3678 11831841 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 3726 3736 88326 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda7 3717 3725 72261 82 Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40027029504 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4866 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 4866 39086113+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Thanks for all the help, talk to you soon.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

PS: What part of Dublin are you in BigTomRodney?

Hi again,

CD audio issue is resolved! KDCD was reading the drive that's not connected to the motherboard, I found how to change it and we now how CD sound! Just the viewing Windows files issue left and we're home & dry

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Linux Engineer
    Hi Martin,
    ok to view the file, your FAT32 partition is called HDA1,
    you can simply do te following command
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/win_c
    mount -t vfat /dev/hdaX1 /mnt/win_c
    thats for temporary mounting,
    if you want a permanent solutionm here the deal.
    You need to edit your fstab file located in
    /etc/
    open fstab with root acces and add the following line
    Code:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat rw,umask=0 0 0
    Then, go into /mnt/win_c to see all your files
    have fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast