Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am interested in trying linux and thought that the live cd version would be a good way without having to play with partitions i have downloaded MandrakeMove-i586.iso as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

live cd

i am interested in trying linux and thought that the live cd version would be a good way without having to play with partitions i have downloaded MandrakeMove-i586.iso as a winrar file from the mandrake website and also five more locations all apear to be the same ie all files in archive are called "clipboard clip" i have burnt these file to cd and the pc will not boot to linux i have also tried a knoppix live cd download and this did not boot to linux both versions said iso archive but they did not look like a valid iso just a group of files
    my bios is set to boot in this order
    cdrom
    floppy
    hdd0
    any help on were imm going wrong please

Linux Guru
    I was under the impression that Mandrake Move was for a bootable pen drive? I could be wrong though.

Are you sure your knoppix disc is good? Did you check the md5sum? Are you sure you burned is correctly?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    While echoing jeremy1701's questions especially as the Knoppix Cd also doesn't work, I will just add that Md Move really is a live CD. In fact because of Diskdrake it iis exceptionally useful.

noygdb, once you have successfully burnt an ISO image and booted from the Cd (whether from MD or Knoppix) you wiill probably see why Linux users really like the OS.

Just Joined!
    none of the files that i download show up as iso when i extract them from the archive and the only way to get them onto cd is to burn them as a data file this is all getting too stressfull all i wanted to do was take a look at linux instead of having to use windows

Linux Guru
    Try just d/ling the ISO rather then winrar. I've never had a problem with an ISO from Mandrake.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    ok i feel a fool now
    have been downloading iso files but when they finish downloading they are a winrar archive have just checked settings in winrar and it was set to associate with iso will try to burn a iso again and let you know the outcome
    thanks to the people who tried to help