Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I've been a Windows user for many years now and I'm after a change. I don't know much about linux yet, infact I'm having trouble beginning. I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux

Hi I've been a Windows user for many years now and I'm after a change.

I don't know much about linux yet, infact I'm having trouble beginning.

I want to install Mandrake 10.1 on my PC but I'm unsure which version to download. I don't want to pay for a subscription copy, I'm just after a free version.

Is the Mandrake 10.1 Official for free use without subscription or do i need to pay to use it?

Sorry if this might seem stupid but I just want to be set straight.

Thanks

-hshot

Yup it's free, you only pay for the packaged discovery,powerpack,corporate etc. versions on the mandrakesoft.com website. The downloads are all free. Only thing is you don't get some proprietry drivers like nVidia etc, but you can usually download these free from the vendors site. Some other things like MP3 encoders and DVD reading libraries don't come packaged with the disc but you'll find windows is the same. You can get these from the net too, and they're all small downloads and free of charge also.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Yup it's free, you only pay for the packaged discovery,powerpack,corporate etc. versions on the mandrakesoft.com website. The downloads are all free. Only thing is you don't get some proprietry drivers like nVidia etc, but you can usually download these free from the vendors site. Some other things like MP3 encoders and DVD reading libraries don't come packaged with the disc but you'll find windows is the same. You can get these from the net too, and they're all small downloads and free of charge also.

thank you very much for your response bigtomrodney!

I'm going to go ahead and download the Mandrake 10.1 Official DVD distro.

Dear Hsot,

Don't forget to look around for Linux magazines first as Mandrake 10.1 is being given away free in some and it works out cheaper than the download time.

Martin from Dublin

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    Dear Hsot,

Don't forget to look around for Linux magazines first as Mandrake 10.1 is being given away free in some and it works out cheaper than the download time.

Martin from Dublin
    Thanks for your response Martin

I have looked around already for a good magazine or book to help me into the linux world but have come up empty handed.

My ISP tho allows me to download things for free between 2am and 8am in the mornings so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Linux Newbie
    My ISP tho allows me to download things for free between 2am and 8am in the mornings so bandwidth isn't an issue.
    You pay by hour?
    Any ways I just want to welcome you. As they said Mandrake download is free. Please do not forget that if you like the software and plan to use it give a dollar or two. With the paid for version you also get support but I will add that these forums are a good forum of support. Good luck and have fun.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by hshot
    Heyheyhey
    I'm unlimited bwith at 250Kb/sec dload and 80Kb/sec Upload...
    I start seeding all my torrent file at night...
    and I'll set up a ftp server real soon.. got 8.9Gb upload this month so far all free... welll a fixe rate
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daemonOS
    You pay by hour?
    Any ways I just want to welcome you. As they said Mandrake download is free. Please do not forget that if you like the software and plan to use it give a dollar or two. With the paid for version you also get support but I will add that these forums are a good forum of support. Good luck and have fun.
    No, I don't pay per hour. What i meant is my ISP allows 12Gig of cable bandwidth (up and down) per month, once you go over the speed is reduced to dialup speeds.
    Recently they have introduced between 2 and 8 am unmetered bandwidth, so it doesn't affect the 12Gig limit.

Thanks! I'm hoping to enjoy myself and learn more about linux and server like apps.