Find the answer to your Linux question:
first, i am very new to linux... (loving it sofar, other than this problem) i jsut installed Windows XP Pro, then Mandrakelinux 10.1, and have been trying to setup the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slow internet

first, i am very new to linux... (loving it sofar, other than this problem)

i jsut installed Windows XP Pro, then Mandrakelinux 10.1, and have been trying to setup the OS's... i got WinXP workign fine, and Mandrake working well for the msot part, but when i access the internet on mandrake it goes unbareably slow... like 20-50 Bps, usually... making it pretty impossibel to do anything online... im postign this form Windows, because the internet is working fine on it.

i setup mandrake's network props the same as WinXP's to every extend i could, but tehre were a few properties i didnt recognise, and left as default, such as the "Search Domain", and the optional "Hostname" i left blank...

im using the integrated LAN on my mobo, which is a MSI K7N2 Delta-L (nForce2 ultra-400), and have a Comcast cable connection, running through a router and switch... also, i have been able to ping the router, but not my brothers computer, which is also on the network (runnign WinXP).

anyone have any ideas of what i could do to fix this?

Linux Guru
    Make sure that you have a legitimate IP in your /etc/resolve.conf file. Mine was set to 127.0.0.1 for some bizzare reason.

Any chance you're using IPv6?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    im not sure what my resolv.conf should look like.. heres it is pasted... i tried commenting out the "nameserver 127.0.0.1" line (after logging in as root), but when i restarted, it showed back up...

searchhost local
    # searchhosthost local
    # nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    # nameserver 127.0.0.1
    # nameserver 192.168.1.2

# ppp temp entry
    as for IPV6, i never told it to be used, so i dont think it is... i wouldnt know where to check for it, though

[EDIT]i just tried DLign the FireFox isntaller, and it went at abotu 300 KBps... so somethign is workign right.. btu web pages are still laodign very slowly, and loging on in GAIM took ages, aswell... un a somewhat uralated matter.. i need ot figure out hwo to isntall this FireFox on here now.. o_O

Linux Guru
    First, find a legitimate DNS sever IP address in your location. Then go into MCC > Networking > Manage connections. Find yours and replace the DNS entries with the DNS server you found to work.

I think that should take care of it.
    Jeremy

Linux Guru
    About the IPv6 stuff...

Try adding this lines at the end of the /etc/modprobe.conf file if it isn't already there:

alias ipv6 off

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    i have 192.168.1.1 set as my DNS IP, which is the IP of the router. the router is setup mroe as a gateway.

when i go thorugh the New Connection wizard, tehre are a few things taht i dont understand, that i am thinkign may be the source fo the problem...

Host Name, Search Domain, Zeroconf host Name

what shoudl i be putting in these?

EDIT: no change with taht ipv6 line...