Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Sorry, yeah, i didn't make myself clear enough. Let's say you have an icon to access your partition on the desktop. And let's suppose you have a folder on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sorry, yeah, i didn't make myself clear enough.

Let's say you have an icon to access your partition on the desktop. And let's suppose you have a folder on the partition where you keep certain backgrounds. Yoy wanna set your desktop background as one of those in the partition. So you click on browse on the open file dialog and you go to the desktop. Here's the deal, if you click the icon for the partition that's on the desktop, the file, instead of opening and displaying it's contents as a directory, it's a file that you can open instead of browsing it. So, i wanna create an icon that allows me to browse into the partition through it.

Hope this helps you!!!

I also changed that line in fstab as you suggested. Here's my final fstab file before knowing if i will be able to open it as another user through the GUI.
    Code:
    /dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 auto,users 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,auto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,auto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Didn't work. I still can't access the device being another user through KDE.

Summing up: i can access everthing as root through a shell, but how can i access it as a regular user and open the thing through the GUI? Like always?

BTW, props to drakebasher for the help, i would invite you to a beer if possible. Thanks dude!!!

HEY!!! It's fixed, all i needed to do is mount it within the /home/punisher directory. /mnt is only accessible as root, how was i expecting to get there as my user. So what i did is created a directory /home/punisher/backup and mounted the damn thing there. Now i see it really cool on my desktop. :P

Linux Guru
    Fantastic! It didn't occur to me that you might not have permissions for the /mnt/ directory. If you want to keep that file as a background, you might want to copy it (as root) to the normal backgrounds directory. In Fedora Core 3, it's something like: /usr/share/backgrounds/images/ Could be different for you, but you should be able to find it if you look for .jpg files in the /usr/share/ directory:
    Code:
    find /usr/share/ -name "*.jpg"
    As for the beer, I prefer Beck's, in a bottle, room temperature.

Cheers-
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Ok, i'll keep that in mind.

Now, funny question. When i mount a device, in this case a partition, the entire contents and files ARE NOT COPIED to the other partition where it's being mounted, right? It just adds it up to the filesystem, like a reference or entry?

Linux Guru
    That's right, nothing gets copied in mounting. But there is something I've thought over, but haven't got around to experimenting with:

Say you have directory /mnt/ and say you copy a file to it: /mnt/fileInMnt
    Now, say you have a partition that includes a file fileOnPart
    After you mount the partition, the directory of /mnt/ should include both files: fileInMnt and FileOnPart.
    Now, say you: 'cp /someDir/newFile /mnt/
    Now umount the partition at /mnt/. On which drive is newFile, and why?
    Do you follow? This stuff is mind-bending.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

I'll read it carefully at home and come back to you on that. I'm at work right now and working under freaking windows. Jejejeje.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    When i mount a device, in this case a partition, the entire contents and files ARE NOT COPIED to the other partition where it's being mounted, right? It just adds it up to the filesystem, like a reference or entry?
    I read your question again, a little closer. Yeah, you could say "It just adds it up to the filesystem". It's certainly not like a reference. The files on the mounted partition are as much a part of the system as any other file. By way of illustration, my preferred way of setting up a system is with at least 4 partitions, not counting swap: /boot, /, /usr, /home. Obviously, files on these separate partitions are all part of the whole system. And to be precise, a partition is a filesystem. So is a floppy and so is a CD. If there is a better name for what I refer to as the directory structure or tree, I don't know what it is.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Yeah i thought so, it would be really inadequate and inefficient to copy the files to wherever your mounting, that would be really weird thinking about it. I just had to ask.

Just so i know, here's my fstab file, and now i wish to mount my cdrom and my cd/rw drives. How do i do this?

Code:
    /dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /home/punisher/backup ext3 auto,user 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,auto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,auto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Linux Guru
    Not sure if I understand.
    Code:
    It looks like your CDs have already been set up. The first "auto" should mean that when you put in a CD and close the tray, Linux will recognise the CD and mount it. I'm guessing that your CD r/w is the one at /mnt/cdrom. If you get confused between "cdrom" and "cdrom2", feel free to change the names. Lets say you want to have /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrw, just do 'mkdir/cdrw', 'rm cdrom2' (actually, I think 'mv /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrw' would accomplish the same) and then edit your fstab accordingly (change /mnt/cdrom2 to /mnt/cdrom and change /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/cdrw). Run 'mount' with no arguments to see what's mounted right now and compare that with your fstab. Does this help?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast