Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Gonna try that right away!! I've done it before to see which hd's i've mounted. So i got a bit of an idea. The thing is that one of those ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gonna try that right away!! I've done it before to see which hd's i've mounted. So i got a bit of an idea. The thing is that one of those mount points is not working, so i wanna delete everything regarding the cd drives and start over, a fresh start. Here's the result of 'mount':

Code:
    /dev/hda7 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    none on /dev type devfs (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /home/punisher/backup type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
    /dev/scd0 on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    BTW, i got a very disturbing message when loading linux. It was about /dev/hda1. It says that this device has been mounted 29 times without being checked. Is this normal, is my hard drive failing or what?[/code]

Linux Guru
    Not to worry, sheds, that's just Linux watching out for you. You don't say if Linux had any suggestions as to what you should do, if anything. I think you can beneficially run 'fsck /dev/hda1' and watch what messages it has. I had a small problem a couple of days ago on a system I'm setting up and I got pages of messages telling me about some corrupted inodes and stuff. Everytime it asked "do you want to fix it?" I said yes, and all was well afterward. No indication here of a drive problem.

As for your CD read problems, I don't know much about the /dev/scd0 thing, that's new to me. You might gain from reading this. Look about half-way down where it mentions scsi emulation and linking /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0. It made my head hurt, so watch out.

Cheers~

edit: One other suggestion: if you are going to hack your fstab, I'd suggest that you comment-out the lines you want to change and then type the revised line right below it. You don't lose any information that way, and it's easy to back-track. Like this:
    Code:
    #/dev/scd0 on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    /dev/scd0 on /mnt/newcdname type iso9660 (rw,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Sounds like a good idea to back that up. I will not mess with it without commenting the other lines.

I've googled the cdrom mounting and it seems to be done the same way you mount hard drives. So i'll give it another shot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3