Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have java installed but can't link it to mozilla What is the command I need to use to do this? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

java

I have java installed but can't link it to mozilla What is the command I need to use to do this? Thanks

ln.

You can get more help about the options like -l or -s to link mozilla to the java plugin.

Another way is to add the plugin to your PATH so the rest of the apps won't need to link it again.

Just Joined!
    hmmm thanks but I got so frustrated that I went and uninstalled or removed the java altogether. Now, I need to get it again and I am a total non geek at this and need help desperately. I need a step by step tutorial on how to install and link java so that it will work.

I also have wine installed but can't seem to run a simple mirc program. All thiese things worked just fine before on fedora core 1 but I am on mandrake 10.1 official now and it is NOT being user friendly or rather newbie friendly. Help please :/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    step-by-step tutorial: http://java.com/en/download/help/lin...elf-extracting

I also have wine installed but can't seem to run a simple mirc program.
    what exactly happens when you try to run mirc through wine? may i suggest using another IRC client, one that has a unix version? i use *****X, for example: http://www.*****x.org/

The installer is really simple.

Get the tar'd file, uncompress it and give execution priviliges to the .bin file that you get after tar, like so:
    Code:
    chmod +x jdk1.4.....bin
    After this just run ./jdk1.4......bin on a console. When you have this, just addthe path to /..../java/bin to any application that needs it. In the case of mozila or firefox, just link the mozila/.../plugin with java/.../plugin, or just add the java path to your PATH (don't ask me what adding to the path means cause it's an abstract and meanless issue to me, put it seems to be used a lot in linux )!!!!

Just Joined!
    thanks, I finally got the java but I am having real issues with wine. I tried tio uninstall it so I could get a more updated version and install it. I did the uninstall through the software uninstall feature and then tried reinstalling it but I got errors saying that it couldnt install due to a conflict with file from pkg libwine.so.1 and so I search high and low , found it and thought I had it deleted but still get the same error and now I can not locate the file that is conflicting at all.

Not only this but when I try to install updates it comes back with errors sayiing that it wasnt able to due to this or that so I dont know how I am to get any uodates at all.

Last but not least for some rason now the kde desktop does not launch the screensaver, the monitor will go black but no screensaver will launch.

Am I a hopeless cause that should return to windows or is there any help available for these issues. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    The screensaver issue can be fixed by d/ling the update in from the Mandrake Control Center, provided you have setup URPMI.

As for the Wine issue... re-install it using Mandrake Control Center. Then d/l the updated rpm from winehq and use the command
    Code:
    rpm -Uhv --force wine_version_.rpm
    That will force and upgrade and give you a nice little display while doing it.

Good luck!
    Jeremy
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I got this error when typing in that command :

[root@192 usr]# rpm -Uhv --force wine_version_.rpm
    error: open of wine_version_.rpm failed: No such file or directory
    [root@192 usr]#

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    I got this error when typing in that command :

[root@192 usr]# rpm -Uhv --force wine_version_.rpm
    error: open of wine_version_.rpm failed: No such file or directory
    [root@192 usr]#
    fill in "wine_version_.rpm" with the actual filename.

Just Joined!
    Will that command also force xchat to upgrade?

By the way, I did a whole new install and got all the updates now with no problems. Go figure. Thanks.