Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, please forgive my ignorance on the subject, as I'm quite the newbie here. I just built my first computer, the specs of which you can see below. Found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux only freezes on new install, new homebuild computer

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance on the subject, as I'm quite the newbie here. I just built my first computer, the specs of which you can see below. Found it very difficult to install Linux, kept freezing. Finally tried the text version of installation, and saw it was hanging primarily on Mozilla (though I think it happened elsewhere as well). So, when it came time to select the packages I wanted to install, I didn't choose either of the internet options (I mean the ones in the left-hand column of the packages window), since I wasn't sure which one had Mozilla. I should mention that this wasn't necessary on a previous attempt at installation, where I made it all the way to the 3rd cd somehow, only to see it crash when it came to the configuration window. But this time, it worked, and now Linux is installed. Great, but it freezes after anywhere from 15 seconds to 15 minutes. I have no idea why, but it happens everytime. I'm using the KDE GUI. I'm afraid I don't know what else I can tell you about it. Can anyone advise me on where to look for a solution to this (and please, in laymens terms!)?
    Thanks kindly.

Specs:

Mandrake Linux 10.0
    Asus A7V600-X
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K250 80GB HDD (only one, so no RAID config)
    512 MB RAM
    PNY GeForce FX 5700 LE video card

I think you should visit http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3 and check hardware compatibility. Let us know what you find?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso