Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am about to attempt to install madrake 10.1 on my spare drive in my xp box. what if any issues do i need to be aware of. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual booting mandrak 10.1 and windows xp home

I am about to attempt to install madrake 10.1 on my spare drive in my xp box. what if any issues do i need to be aware of. I have tried to check the forums before i posted but i can't find any information.
    any help is welcome

Hi Rds,

Welcome to Linux forums! I have a triple boot on my machine of Windows 98SE, XP Pro and Mandrake 10.1 offical. It's not too hard to do but did you buy a boxed set of Mandrake or download it? If you've never installed Linux before, you'll need some instructions, I got mine from a book called 'Linux in easy steps'', this covers installing Mandrake 10.1 as a stand alone or dual boot with XP. The book sells in Ireland for about 15 Euros and can be bought in most big PC shops like PC World. Don't expect any help from PC shop staff, they might sell boxed sets of Linux, but very few know anything about it, talk to your friends here in the forum.

The first thing I need ask, is do you already have XP installed and working? Next, is it a 3 CD Rom box set you have, a download or a DVD Rom from a Linux magazine?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    I installed Mandrake 10.1 on my XP Home machine as a dual boot. The install went smoothly was rather straight forward.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

thanks for the help

I tried it and it worked pretty good. choosed to put linux on a seperate hard drive instead of dealing with repartitioning issues.
    the only thing I need to do now is figure out how to get my dual monitor display working. After that I not sure what i want t do next.

Just Joined!
    With Xp installed just install Mandrake 10.1 (no matter how it was gotten) on a non formatted drive and be sure to place the boot loader lilo on the mbr. it works like a charm Information for dual boot can also be obtained from the SANS Institute via the web. Most of it gets so confusing I just did it.

Rick
    Jacksonville Fl. United States