Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wondering what happened to the File Tree View in Nautilus. In Mandrake 10.0 it would have a panel on the left that showed the File tree structure and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does Nautilus have File Tree View?

I am wondering what happened to the File Tree View in Nautilus. In Mandrake 10.0 it would have a panel on the left that showed the File tree structure and on the right side would show the folders and files of the selected folder. After installing 10.1, Nautilus only has one panel (no tree view). So when you navigate through the file structure numerous windows are opened for each level. This is very inconvenient and I can't find any way to change it. I've tried all the options and preferences settings, but no luck. Any ideas?

Just Joined!

Re: Does Nautilus have File Tree View?

Yea, it's strange what they changed in 10.1. On the desktop, you can right click on the Computer (or your home directory) icon and click browse folders. It will now show you the familiar tree on the left...

Just Joined!
    I right-clicked on the Home icon and clicked on "Open" and it opened Konqueror as the file manager. I didn't have a "Computer" icon or an option to "browse folders". Konqueror has an option to show a Tree view, so I could abandon Nautilus. I just wonder why I don't get the "browse folders" option like you're describing?

Just Joined!
    Oops... forgot to mention this is on GNOME. Didn't realize you were using KDE. I'm not sure how you would do it from menu... only from the GNOME desktop.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input. Since I posted this question I have done some checking and ran across the Gnome forum topic "Navigational Man Vs his Evil Archnemesis Dr. Spatial" http://gnomedesktop.org/node/187. It appears that the latest Nautilus 2.6.x is designed as spatial only. The navigational approach (I assume Tree-view method) is not available anymore. At least that is what I am assuming from what I read. The spatial approach apparently encourages a new way to think about how you organize files on your hard drive. It discourages deep heirarchies so you don't necessarily need a tree view to navigate. I could be misreading the forum, but I think that is the gist of it. There also appears to be some disagreement as to whether the spatial method is welcomed by the Nautilus users. I kind of wish they had made it an option, so that you could switch between spatial or navigational.

Linux Guru
    When I installed Fedora Core 3 a few days ago, I was really disappointed to see what they have done. This is how I deal with it: I created a launcher on the desktop and another on the menu bar. Both of them have this command line:
    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop --browser
    When I click on it it looks just like I'm used to, with sidebar ready for tree view. The --browser switch makes the difference. I hate to say I don't know what the --no-desktop switch does!
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Code:
    That did the trick. Many thanks! I just finished doing some searching on the "no desktop" argument and didn't come up with anything. I did run across more discussion of spatial vs navigational. And references to the new "Finder" in Mac OS X Panther. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/finder/ It may be the next wave, but I still like having an option.

I do realize this is old, but came across it googling for a command line plugin for Nautilus and thought I'd post the "fix" for anyone coming across it in the future.

This whole issue is resolved by going to Edit > Preferences > Behavior and checking "Always open in browser windows"

The --browser switch forces this behavior. Invoked normally (no switches) Nautilus will start it's desktop manager if one it's not already running in this mode. The --no-desktop switch runs only the Nautilus file manager, not the desktop manager which paints your gnome desktop background and handles any icons you have there. To see what I mean, try "killall nautilus" under Gnome. You'll see your desktop icons disappear and then reappear as Nautilus restarts (which is also the default behavior if it's killed).

Didn't mean to get so wordy - back to my quest...

Just Joined!

Talking @drakebasher THANKS

You helped me a lot!
    Your code as shown below really does the trick.
    It resets the global variable for Nautilus!
    command line:
    Code:
    Oh ADMIN please get rid of the advertisement on top of this page.
    Banner ads are OK but only without javascript and animations.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, jangirke

Please find newer threads for participating in if you wish to post replies on the forums. This thread is almost 7 years old and we lock old discussion threads that are revived.

Thank you.
    oz