Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a relitivly new user of linux and am having problems with a wireless card. While I still use Windows for my primary machine, I have several IBM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pcmcia Problems/ wireless card

Hello, I am a relitivly new user of linux and am having problems with a wireless card. While I still use Windows for my primary machine, I have several IBM Thinkpad 600 series notebook computers that I am running with Mandrake 10.1.
    Recently, I set up a Lucent Technologies Orinoco gold wireless card on a 600x computer. Linux installed the drivers properly and I had perfect connection quality and usability until I shut down the computer. Now It wont see the card anymore, or any other Pcmcia cards. I have re-installed linux and tried again wih the exact same results (working until shutdown).
    Is there any way to restart Pcmcia without re-installing linux? Or is there any way to keep the card running?
    Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using community edition??

Check to see if the line

modprobe yenta_socket

is in your /etc/modprobe.preload file. If it is not then the pcmcia module will not load at boot. It was a bug in 10.1CE.

Just Joined!

now what?

I found the modprobe.preload but found no "modprobe yenta_socket" command line. Howdo I input it though? Do I need to enter the root system? and if so, how?

Just Joined!

Addition

I have been searching through the nets and found that this wireless problem is more wide spread that I thought it was. I have tried modifying both the modprobe.preload file and the modprobe.conf file both as a regular user and as root and it won't allow me to make any changes. . I don't know what else I need to do to modify this file. Please help...