Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everybody, I'm new here to the forums (and Linux in general actually) and was hoping that you all could help me with a problem I'm having. I recently put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Internet Problems

Hello Everybody,
    I'm new here to the forums (and Linux in general actually) and was hoping that you all could help me with a problem I'm having. I recently put together a new computer, and since I had a large hard drive, decided to make it a duel boot system. On one partition, I'm running WinXP home and on this one I'm running Mandrake 10.1. Everything seems to be working fine, except the internet. I can access the internet, and get around well enough, but the connection is mind numbingly slow. I have a cable connection, and its nice and fast on the WinXP partition, so I very much doubt thats the problem. Originally, I assumed it was a driver problem (my mobo has an integrated network card) because I couldn't get the mobo's driver disk to boot in Linux (its a .exe, those don't work round these parts, do they?). After some serching, it looks like I probabily wouldn't even need a new driver, since the kernal is kept so up to date. Long story short, I guess, does this sound like it might be a driver problem? If it is, how would I go about finding/installing some Linux drivers?

Just Joined!

Update

Allright, I suppose this might be a bit premature since no one has replied, but my question has changed. I went on to nVidia's website and found a nForce driver that appears to be the one for my board's network capabilities. When i try to install it, it asks for my kernel's source code, which is uninstalled. I'm using Mandrake 10.1, where can I find the source and how would I install it?

Linux Guru
    You can install the kernel-source from the CD's using Mandrake Control Center, but I wouldn't really do that just yet. Try this first:
    Make sure you have the two following lines in your /etc/modprob.conf file:

Code:
    alias ipv6 off
    alias net-pf-10 off
    This seems to be a common problem with 10.1 Official
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After taking a quick look at the file, it doesn't look like those lines are there. Is there any specific place they should be added, or is just at the end fine?

Linux Guru
    Where ever. You'll need to restart your system afterwards.

Such a rare thing to do in Linux
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I added those lines and it doesn't seem to be working.
    Heres what my modprobe.conf looks like now, does it look alright?
    Code:
    # This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_via; /bin/true
    alias eth0 forcedeth
    remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe
    ehci-hcd; /bin/true;
    alias ipv6 off;
    alias net-pf-10 off
    Btw, thanks for the help, I know it sucks dealing with a newbie like myself

Linux Guru
    alias ipv6 off;

Is the important line. It turns off ipv6. Try removing the semi-colon.

Code:
    alias ipv6 off
    BTW... We're all newbies at one point, it doesn't suck to be one or help one.
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Hi again,
    I fiddled around with that file again, and am still having no luck with it. I tried with semi-colons and withought semi's on one and not the other and just the ipv6 line by itself with and without the colons. I looked for the source code as well, which I think I am going to have to install. I went through Mandrake's software install software manager, and came up with nothing that looked like kernal source. One reason it might not be there is that I have 10.1 Community and not Official. Would they not package it with community? I don't really have anything of value on this partition with Linux so a fresh install is an option.

Linux Guru
    For sure upgrade to Official.

Jeremy

there is definately a kernel source package w/ Mdk. it is called kernel-source[version #, etc.].rpm. It should be there.