Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a feeling that the answer is staring me in the face, but... If I have the graphical interface set to load automatically and log on a specific user, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Logging in as root with KDE

I have a feeling that the answer is staring me in the face, but...

If I have the graphical interface set to load automatically and log on a specific user, how do I then log on and log into KDE or gnome as root? When I go to 'logout,' it brings up the login menu where I can only click a user name...and root isn't available (and there is no place to type it). The only way I have found is to boot without auto-loading Xorg and then log in at the command line as root then typing 'kde.' Any easier way without so much hassle? The reason I ask is to make it easy to switch to root from my user account for the entire session not just one console. I like to navigate file structures and make changes in KDE not just with the console.

-Judd

Linux Guru
    You can change the settings of your login by going to KDE Control Center > System > Login Manager (I think, it's right around there). There, you can tell it to show root so you can graphically login as root. I wouldn't advise that though, whatever you need to do as root, you should be able to do using Mandrake Control Center or CLI. You can also switch from using kdm to gdm, which IMHO is much better, but that has to be done using Mandrake Control Center > System > Login Manager.

Hope that helps,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude