Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i've been looking for a tool to convert my cd's into mp3's and my wav's into mp3's. I had a look at audacity but i couldn't get passed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MP3 encoder/converter

Hi, i've been looking for a tool to convert my cd's into mp3's and my wav's into mp3's. I had a look at audacity but i couldn't get passed the installation. So far i've checked some other options like grip and bladeenc but i think grip is only for gnome and i only use KDE. Is this true or should i be looking some more?

Ok, i downloaded grip to test it. I get the following:
    Code:
    # rpm -i grip-3.2.0-1.i386.rpm
    error: failed dependencies:
            libcrypto.so.4   is needed by grip-3.2.0-1
            libssl.so.4   is needed by grip-3.2.0-1
    Please don't tell me i have to get those libraries before installing grip. I don't have enough knowledge to be able to install libraries and get the installer and apps that need them to find and use them. If so and i can't skip that, then i'll do it.

Linux Engineer
    cd2mp3: http://www.step.polymtl.ca/~guardia/cd2mp3pm.php
    mp3c: http://www.wspse.de/WSPse/Linux-MP3c.php3

i'm sure there's a gazillion other programs like these. these are just the first couple i pulled off of a search of the FreeBSD ports tree.

but i don't see what's wrong with audacity or bladeenc or grip. i would use mandrake's package manager to install one of these programs so it'll resolve all the dependencies for you. when an install fails and prints out "failed dependencies," google them, download them, and install them. for example, try "libcrypto" and "libssl" in google, get the sources, and install them. then try the install again. but i see the easiest route as using mandrake's package management.

Grip has been on all of the mandrake versions I've had since 9.0 up. Just use urpmi as mentioned.

Make it easy on yourself - run the command mcc and choose Package installation. You'll then just need to track down bladeenc, lame or some such, all of which can be gotten and installed without any dependency issues. By default you shoud have ogg tools on the system so you should be able to rip to ogg, which certainly works better at higher bitrates and is more economic with space.

I found the rpmdrake 9.1 here. I guess this will do the trick, to bad none of the options on lame, grip or bladeenc appear. I guess i'll work it out manually.

Just a quick question. Let's say i download the libraries needed to install this grip. How do i make it part of the Os or whatever so the grip installer knows that the libraries have been installed so it can use them?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I found the rpmdrake 9.1 here. I guess this will do the trick, to bad none of the options on lame, grip or bladeenc appear. I guess i'll work it out manually.

Just a quick question. Let's say i download the libraries needed to install this grip. How do i make it part of the Os or whatever so the grip installer knows that the libraries have been installed so it can use them?
    just install them. if it's an rpm file, use the rpm -i <filename> command i believe. if it's a source tarball, unpack it via tar xvvzf <filename> if it's tar.gz or tar zxf <filename> if it's tar.bz2, cd into the newly created directory and run ./configure then make then make install as root. that's all you gotta do - then install grip and it should work.

Gonna try that right away. I understand correctly, the installer for grip will find the libraries by itself, or not?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    Gonna try that right away. I understand correctly, the installer for grip will find the libraries by itself, or not?
    if they are installed, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I just asked cause when installing the java environment you have to specify to the limewire installer where the java bin library is. I guess these other libraries are "part" of linux so they just get installed and any app that needs them will find it easily.