Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I'm perplexed as to how I can remove Mandrake 10.0 from my [WinXP Home && Pro && Mandrake 10.0] triple-boot system without vapourising the MBR. I tried doing a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Safely Uninstalling Mandrake 10.0 on a multi-boot system

Hello

I'm perplexed as to how I can remove Mandrake 10.0 from my [WinXP Home && Pro && Mandrake 10.0] triple-boot system without vapourising the MBR. I tried doing a "lilo -U /dev/sda" but that messed up my MBR real bad. I had to reinstall Mandrake 10.0 to recover my MBR.
    I know there is a thread here for removing Mandrake 10.1 with its rescue utility, but Mandrake 10.0 doesn't seem to have it.
    Formatting the ext3 drive then running "fixmbr" from the Windows XP rescue disk is very risky, and Windows informs me that my MBR might just get wiped clean, thereby losing all the partition tables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Formatting the ext3 partition is how you get rid of MDK. Running fixmbr has never, in my experience, zeroed out the partition table. You could try messing around from the recovery console that you can access via the WindowsXP install CD. You may be able to fix the mbr somehow from there (other than running fixmbr).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I went ahead with a modification of your suggestion. I ran the "lilo -u /dev/sda" command and sure enough, that messed up my mbr. So I sucked it up and ran the fixmbr utility from the WinXP rescue disk, and voila! Mandrake is gone! (I still have to format the partition for my Gentoo source files though; easily done with PM)

Thanks for the advice sarumont! :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close