Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I recently installed mandrake 10.1 alongside wxp and everything works except connecting to the internet. I had a usb modem on a broadband connection that I could never configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

adsl connection

Hello. I recently installed mandrake 10.1 alongside wxp and everything works except connecting to the internet. I had a usb modem on a broadband connection that I could never configure so I've switched to a nice netgear dg632 router. Works fine in windows but not in mandrake..

Can anyone point me to a faq on setting it up? I noticed on boot that pppo (Ithink) fails and there's no icon in taskbar.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    if you use a router, ppp connection is pointless since you wont connect throu PPPoE anymore but rather use DHCP... depending on your router setup, to either dinamicly set the IP or not, go into MCC (mandrake control center) under the network option, and simply click on create new connection... s pretty much the same as windows XP new connection wizard!

Post any further questions you may have regarding this issue
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    if you use a router, ppp connection is pointless since you wont connect throu PPPoE anymore but rather use DHCP... depending on your router setup, to either dinamicly set the IP or not, go into MCC (mandrake control center) under the network option, and simply click on create new connection... s pretty much the same as windows XP new connection wizard!
    Thanks. I have been trying to set up a connection in MCC and have just managed it. However, I don't think it's quite right, it's slow and doesn't connect to some sites e.g. Google.

What should I check?

In the wizard I chose ADSL connection, DHCP and then pppoa, that was the only one that allowed me to put in my isp login details.

Linux Engineer
    Let me explain one thing. If it's a router you have, the router already has the information about your login and password and you do not need to configure a PPPoE connection, simply a DHCP connection with automatic IP assighment. However, if it's a Hub you have, then you have to configure a PPPoE interface to connect using a username password.

Did you setup any userName password in your router? are you sure it's a router and not a hub?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    It's a netgear dg630 router. I did login to it successfully in Mandrake but when I went back into wxp I couldn't connect. So, I logged in there and sorted it and then it doesn't work in Mandrake.

Would the settings be different for the 2 OS's?

Linux Engineer
    Both settings should be the same,

assign IP to NIC,
    setup router to accept this IP (or setup dinamic IP assign)
    then wether your in MDK or WIN you will be getting the connection

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I have set up DHCP and can connect ok. Still slow loading some sites and I can't access google so I must be doing something wrong.
    assign IP to NIC
    How/where do I do that?