Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm pretty new to linux and I don't even know where to begin to fix this. I have a dual boot, Win XP and Mandrake 10.1 Official and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Comlete Freeze

Hi all, I'm pretty new to linux and I don't even know where to begin to fix this.
    I have a dual boot, Win XP and Mandrake 10.1 Official and it works fine, for a while. But Linux will periodically it will freeze up completely. Even the little lights on the keyboard for caps lock wont respond. The only option is to physically cut off the computer and try over again. The timing seems random,the only pattern I have managed to pick up on is that it seems to happen when downloading a file, but that may have just been a coincidence. Has anyone heard of this before, or know where to start looking for an answer?

Linux Engineer
    I had one occurence where my cpu would "freeze" when dloading mass amount of data 300k/sec for 5 hours in a row... turn out to be settings apci. Turn of your power managment tool and see if that helps... didn't get the problem ever since
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps