Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a complete noob to linux AND mandrake... I managed to get my nVidia drivers installed after a few hours of messing around. (Very fun and informative few hours ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I kill a frozen program?

I am a complete noob to linux AND mandrake... I managed to get my nVidia drivers installed after a few hours of messing around. (Very fun and informative few hours by the way)

So far this has been very confusing, but I am not giving up because I am tired of Windows. My question is that I had xmms lock up on me and I couldn't get rid of it. I couldn't move it, close or or anything. Now ctrl+alt+delete doesn't seem to do anything in Linux. How do I close a program once its locked up short of restarting my computer?

Just Joined!
    Hmm... Its still here on my screen, anyone please?

Just Joined!
    I'm assuming your using KDE. To kill something in KDE simply hit CTRL+ESC. This will bring up KDE System Guard. From here you can select XMMS and tell it to kill it. Just make sure that you don't select something else by accident.

If you want to learn how to do this from a console window, read this:
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl_pskill.htm

A third way is to simply press ALT+CTRL+ESC and your mouse cursor will turn into a skull. Then you can go ahead and left click on the app you want to kill. If you want to cancel (without killing anything) just right click.

Just Joined!
    Thanks!!!