Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install thenewest version of xmms and when I do ./configure it goes through a bunch of stuff and at the bottom it says: configure: error: *** ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Glib???

I am trying to install thenewest version of xmms and when I do ./configure it goes through a bunch of stuff and at the bottom it says:

configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install first ***

now I went and downloaded what I think is a version of glib from www.gtk.org and when I try to install that I did ./configure and that went through no problem I think, but when I tried to run : make. It goes through a bunch of stuff and gives me an error at the end as follows:

glib-2.6.0]$ make
    make all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0'
    Making all in .
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0'
    Making all in m4macros
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/m4macros'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/m4macros'
    Making all in glib
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    make all-recursive
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    Making all in libcharset
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib/libcharset'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib/libcharset'
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/glib'
    Making all in gobject
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/gobject'
    make glib-genmarshal
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/gobject'
    make[3]: `glib-genmarshal' is up to date.
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/gobject'
    echo "#ifndef __G_MARSHAL_H__" > xgen-gmh \
    && echo "#define __G_MARSHAL_H__" >> xgen-gmh \
    && ./glib-genmarshal --nostdinc --prefix=g_cclosure_marshal ./gmarshal.list --header >> xgen-gmh \
    && echo "#endif /* __G_MARSHAL_H__ */" >> xgen-gmh \
    && (cmp -s xgen-gmh gmarshal.h 2>/dev/null || cp xgen-gmh gmarshal.h) \
    && rm -f xgen-gmh xgen-gmh~ \
    && echo timestamp > stamp-gmarshal.h
    ./glib-genmarshal: line 1: cd: /home/max420/Desktop/My: No such file or directory
    gcc: Downloads/glib-2.6.0/gobject/.libs/24165-lt-glib-genmarshal: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** [stamp-gmarshal.h] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0/gobject'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/max420/Desktop/My Downloads/glib-2.6.0'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

What am I doing wrong?

It looks like make is throwing an error at the name of your directory "My Downloads" because of the space. Try renaming the directory "My_Downloads" or something like that, and try again.