Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 yesterday, and tried installing the latest NVidia driver. I followed the instructions EXACTLY, and made sure my XF86Config file had all the correct entries ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xserver and NVidia drivers refuse to work

Hi.

I upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 yesterday, and tried installing the latest NVidia driver. I followed the instructions EXACTLY, and made sure my XF86Config file had all the correct entries and adjustments to use the driver, and the driver seemed to install fine after creating a custom kernel. It said I had the rivafb module for my kernel, so I checked that it wasn't set to load and it wasn't.

however, for some reason when I try to start the xserver it says the nvidia module kernel or summat cannot be loaded and that no screen's could be detected and then stops trying to load. Anyone got any ideas how I can solve this?

My system is:
    AMD 2800 Sempron
    Geforce FX 5200 256mb
    Riva Tnt2 M64 (use both of these graphics cards)
    1GB RAM
    Gigabyte summat or another with NForce 2

Cheers.

Linux Guru
    Please post the output of this command:

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    did you change the entry in modprobe.preload?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    It came out with the error "NVIDIA X driver not found"??

In answer to the modprobe.preload question, no I havn't changed anything in that, but it has the line:
    nvidia-agp

Linux Engineer
    This isn't the mod you should've done!
    If you rad carefullyon Nvidia's web site, you should have changed it to

nvidia

Change your modprobe.preload file to this input and the kernel of nvidia will load without any further problems..
    make sure you also reboot the machine as the kernel module is "preloaded" during bootup
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    it was the nvidia driver install that did that though?

also, any idea why linux keeps freezing completely at random periods? first teh mouse stops responding, then the entire computer. it even does it on a clean install with nothing extra installed and so on.

ctrl alt f1/backspace etc don't work either. only way out is to hit the reset button.

Just Joined!
    After about 2 hours of frustration and a little Googling, I found an interesting fix that worked....

1. Ensure you have the correct kernel-source package installed. `uname -r` will give you the kernel version. If it's 2.6.x, then `urpmi kernel-source-2.6` does the job.

2. Do `telinit 3` to stop the xorg server.

3. Install the Nvidia driver , ignoring the warning about the conflict with the rivafb driver.

4. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as per the nvidia README.

5. Do `modprobe -r rivafb` to unload the rivafb kernel module.

6. Add the line 'nvidia' to the file /etc/modprobe.preload.

7. Reboot. If you see the nvidia logo when your X server starts up, you're in business
    I did this for my GeForce FX 5200 and this is also assuming that you have the default 2.6 kernel.

Also, any luck with the nForce2 sound drivers? For some reason, X doesn't like the drivers on my PC

Linux Engineer
    No the nvidia driver do not modify that file, as PeanutthaKid and As I pointed before, you must change nvidia in your modprobe otherwise, the lib isnt loaded in memory and the nvidia driver wont get to load....

Just Joined!
    All sorted now n I have twinview set up and running my montior and TV anyone know how I can get my TNT2 card to work as well as having the two monitors on my FX5200? I've seen a few examples around but am not sure how to change them to work for my configuration.

Linux Enthusiast
    Not sure, but any time you have more than one video card, you should use Xinerama.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast